UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jan 2011, 4:38 pm   #1
GMB
Dekatron

Default Making connectors

Does anyone have any good ideas for sorcing materials that might be suitable for making connectors?

What I am thinking about here is, for example, the problem of sourcing one of those smaller Jones connectors (the big ones are still obtainable, the small ones not it seems).

The plug is just a load of blades, so not so hard to make.
The socket must engage with this, so needs some kind of springy thingies to make contact with the blades of the plug. (They are annoyingly not quite the size of the Lucar type blades).
I have never had much luck with this. It seems hard to find materials with the right degree of springiness.
I had wondered if anyone had found some available thing that can be gutted to obtain a kit of suitable contacts. Or any other ideas on this problem?
Old 7th Jan 2011, 7:48 pm   #2

Default Re: Making connectors

I tend to bite the bullet and replace both sides with some contact inserts. A bit of drilling and epoxy works wonders.

Old 8th Jan 2011, 12:25 pm   #3
Geoff 555
Heptode

Default Re: Making connectors

Hello I dont know the size of the pins etc. that you want but have a look at Vehicle Wiring Products Ltd. (Google.) in particular the connector blocks/housings section. Pt. numbers. 192174 and 5962. If these are of no use then could you kindly put up the measurements please, that would help and voltage/current needs.
Thank you.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Closed Thread