UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jan 2019, 2:15 am   #1
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Default EMI 2001 Colour Broadcast Camera

Hi,

Does anyone know if there are any working examples of this camera around anymore? Does the Media Museum up at Bradford have one?

Cheers
Ryan
Old 2nd Jan 2019, 11:43 am   #2
beamcurrent
Heptode

Default Re: EMI 2001 Colour Broadcast Camera

Hello Ryan

I have two complete EMI2001 cameras in the Musuems collection, both are viable but have not been run up for a long time. It is in the nature of these things that they need continual maintenance. https://www.tvcameramuseum.org/emi/2001/2001index.html

One is an Ex Anglia TV camera and is a standard 2001, and the other is an ex BBC camera with the BBC modifications.

A good number of other camera collectors have cameras and there are at least three collectors that I know to have had cameras working recently. One was used as part of the "Adapt project" is at this link:- http://www.adapttvhistory.org.uk/

Additionally there are three "props" hire companies that offer EMI 2001s.

Attached is a picture of one of mine out on demonstration a good few years ago. It was an inclement day and the camera is under the official rain cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image14.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	175580  

Visit the Virtual Broadcast TV Camera Museum
Old 2nd Jan 2019, 12:17 pm   #3
McMurdo
Dekatron

A recent episode of 'Inside No.9', a Reece Shearsmith/Steve Pemberton dark comedy vehicle, was filmed as though it was a 'shot-on-vt' budget drama in the 1970's. At the time I wondered about the visual effects as it had that very typical 70's drama look to it, even down to comet-tails on candles etc.

I googled it today and apparently they shot it 'using authentic equipment of the time' for special effect. Looked just like it was shot on 2001's but I'm no expert!!

Edit: cameras were supplied by Golden-Age TV and were Ikegami HK 323's.
https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/bbc/i...112238.article
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The_Devil_of_Christmas.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	175582  

Last edited by McMurdo; 2nd Jan 2019 at 12:30 pm. Reason: added bit about the cameras
Old 2nd Jan 2019, 7:10 pm   #4
PaulM
Hexode

Yes, it was us at 'Golden Age TV' who did 'Inside No. 9' with our Ikegami HK-323s. The 'Broadcast Now' article is wrong in that all the cameras worked perfectly until the end except for one which developed a slight black level 'twitch' ten minutes before they called 'it's a wrap'. As the shoot was extended by several hours anyway, it was a pretty good reliability record over three days. Don't believe everything you read in such magazines! The same cameras recently did a 3 week stint with us in the USA on a big American film production and they ran perfectly and to a high standard, day-in, day-out all that time.

As for EMI 2001s, we have quite a number in the collection and I do intend to run one up to near broadcast standard in the not too distant future. I've done it some years ago, so I know my way round them and how to deal with the cheap and nasty plastic encapsulated transistors that EMI used. Such transistors fail due to moisture absorption through lack of use and poor storage. It's a big job to reach a high standard rather than just 'pictures', but now that our 'Project Vivat' BBC OB truck is reaching something of a conclusion, there's time to plan for the future. As part of this strategy, we've begun a new organisation known as the 'Broadcast Engineering Conservation Group' and the beginnings of the website is at: www.becg.org.uk The long-term plan is a proper 'bricks and mortar' broadcast museum, but it's a huge undertaking and will take some time. This will be much more than just TV cameras and will include our diverse collections of VT, telecine, audio gear etc.

I have recently written an academic paper on the early colour TV cameras (a global review) and that paper will appear on our new website in due course. The paper places the EMI 2001 in context and how all the 4-tube camera products failed to thrive on the world market (although Marconi MkVIIs did reasonably well, especially in the USA). Precious few 2001s were exported and in that respect it was a complete failure. It's interesting to note that the new generation of media folk don't see the 2001 as a camera - to them, it's just a big white box. Hire as a prop is quite rare unless it is specifically called for in a historic setting - they much prefer something that (to their eyes) looks like a TV camera.

Best wishes for 2019!

Paul M

www.golden-agetv.co.uk
www.projectvivat.co.uk
www.becg.org.uk
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 1:20 am   #5
McMurdo
Dekatron

I recommend anyone who is even vaguely interested in vintage tv production technology to watch the aforementioned programme. When it was broadcast I had to stare at it intently thinking how little Steve Pemberton had aged since the 1970's when this must've been made, before reality dawned and my jaw dropped at the attention to period detail. I assumed the look had been added digitally in post production until my curiosity was piqued at reading this thread yesterday.

Does Phillip Scofield's 2001 work? He has one, I believe.
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 9:41 am   #6
PaulM
Hexode

We also did the recent 'Arctic Monkeys' thing on BBC2 for Radio 1 with the Ikegamis and also another UK based Hollywood film production - they're in demand!

The problem with 2001s are: reliability, size, CCU/PSU bulk and everything is just so heavy by the standards of today. We usually offer 'simulated prac' with a working viewfinder, cue light and an implanted modern(ish) camera all sitting on a Vinten HP419 pedestal. It looks right and is much easier and reliable! We have a studio set of four and we're the only ones able to offer this. If you want 'real' pictures, our studio set of 4 HK 323s with a couple of portables is the rig of choice.

I doubt very much whether Philip Scofield's 2001 works - the MTBF is not very high for starters! Furthermore, there's 'working' and 'working properly to a high standard'. The Delta L system used in the 2001 is complicated and restoring a 2001 'properly' needs a full understanding of the method. They give shocking pictures if not set up correctly and if you manage it, you then you have to keep them that way. Producing 4 pictures (YRGB) is a big job but manageable, but the hard bit is making them actually look good!

Best regards,

Paul M

Last edited by PaulM; 3rd Jan 2019 at 9:54 am.
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 8:54 pm   #7
AidanLunn
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
Precious few 2001s were exported and in that respect it was a complete failure.
Just three of the Thomson/IVC three-Vidicon tube export version to the US and one (I think a 4-tube 2001) to the NZBC, IIRC?

The NZBC one is mentioned here under the "1965 to 77" header:

http://www.lonely.geek.nz/kiwi-tv/in...nningham-clyde
Closed Thread