UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Dec 2018, 7:35 pm   #1
Eidolon
Hexode

Default Grundig 2x4 tape loading mechanism

I've had a Grundig 2x4 v2000 machine sitting unused for years, as I preferred the ITT 482 machine I had for the aesthetics with the room, and having a toploader.
Given it's recent 'fixed' return that resulted in the power supply going up in smoke, I am considering trying to maybe get the Grundig 2x4 fixed and up and running instead.
If what I have been told is correct, the olny fautl with it is a cog wheel on the tape loading mechanism that was snapped in two and missing some teeth. I don;t know anything about the machine, but is it something with any chance of finding a replacement part, maybe amongst the collectors? The broken cog aparently isn't fixable in any way.
Thanks for any help
Old 25th Dec 2018, 9:24 pm   #2
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: Grundig 2x4 tape loading mechanism

The Grundig will sooner or later give electronic problems. Tantalum capacitors shorting out, for example. If you're looking for a daily (or monthly) usable machine, a Philips or relabeled Philips (preferrably second or third generation, your ITT is a first generation machine, only slightly more reliable than a Grundig) will be a better choice.
Old 26th Dec 2018, 2:20 pm   #3
Eidolon
Hexode

I already have one of those latter ITT machines, and am having trouble getting it fixed. Given that the power supply in it made a loud pop and smoked, I'm worried that it's blown beyond fixing.
Given the nonsense that the repair place told me over the years, I only have his word that the problem with the Grundig is a broken cog. Saying that, the tape hatch flap is stuck open, which is a good sign that the problem is with the loading mechanism.
Anyway, trying to get the Grundig fixed was just a back-up option in case the ITT is truly a write-off.
I have a considerable pile of v2000 tapes I've never watched, I need to get at least one of these machines working, and they're part of my room furniture in a way too.
Old 26th Dec 2018, 6:14 pm   #4
collisr
Pentode

The "pop" and the smoke from the power supply - although dramatic - is not a huge deal. It will be the Rifa brand mains suppression capacitor in the housing of the mains socket. If you are comfortable with a soldering iron, just remove it or get a replacement from RS electronics ( I recall searching for a 0.56uF X2 capacitor)
Old 27th Dec 2018, 4:06 am   #5
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
Given that the power supply in it made a loud pop and smoked, I'm worried that it's blown beyond fixing.
Have you looked at the source of the smoke yet? It might very well be a failed paper capacitor (Rifa of course) in the mains entry.
Old 28th Dec 2018, 2:07 am   #6
toshiba tony
Heptode

Perhaps it used a typical PSU of the day, a TDA4600 IC. Very predictable, but as people have commented it may well be the mains filter cap. I'd be much happier sorting a "smoked" video than one requiring mechanical work.
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 2:26 pm   #7
Eidolon
Hexode

I.m not having much luck finding anywhere local(ish) to repair the v2000. I found a place in Birmingham but he changed his mind when i mentioned that there'd been some coffee spilled on it. Only a small amount, probably hadn't got into the cirucuitry much if at all, and it had worked since that happened; but he said it would be corroded, and didn't want to fix it as a result. I have tried a couple of other places that mention VHS repairs, but both said no to a V2000.
I'm unlikely to find a replacement part for the Grundig by the looks of it, so at this point I'm really stuck regarding getting a v2000 up and runnning.
I'm pretty sure based on veriosu things I've been told that it's nothing major with the ITT machine, just something jammed, and maybe a bit of soldering here and there. I'm starting to feel tempted to take it apart myself and have a look inside.

Is there any way to get the tape compartment to flip-up open on the ITT while the power is off? It seems like there's a clip somewhere on the left side of it, I was wondering if there's a way of perhaps getting a knife down the side of the hatch and getting it to unlatch?

There was someone called 'Vonsworld' who made a comment on another thread, saying they fix old Philips machines. They're not too far from me, and I have messaged them asking about it. But they haven;t got back to me. Only one post. Not sure if they're coming back on here or not.

Last edited by Eidolon; 3rd Jan 2019 at 2:28 pm. Reason: .
Closed Thread