UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Nov 2018, 3:49 pm   #21
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Electroluminesence

I recall an electroluminescent panel was used on the Telefunken '709' (?) series of CTV to illuminate the selected channel number. Tony
Old 19th Nov 2018, 4:08 pm   #22
julie_m
Dekatron

My Panasonic bedside stereo had an electroluminescent backlight, but that no longer lights up anymore. Not sure whether it's the panel that has died or the inverter.

EL panels were very popular until recently, but LEDs -- which can be used directly from low voltages -- seem to have taken over most of their applications now.
Old 19th Nov 2018, 8:59 pm   #23
broadgage
Nonode

Agree, LEDs have largely taken over for flat or curved panels.
There must be a lot of vintage or soon to be vintage equipment around that has dead or dying EL panels in it. Authentic repair or restoration may become impossible. A 70 year old valve radio is arguably easier to restore than a 20 year old (and soon to be vintage) device with EL panels.

One of the few remaining applications is the electroluminescent wire.
Old 19th Nov 2018, 10:10 pm   #24
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
The control panels in the Tornado aircraft cockpits used EL panels, powered by the aircraft 115v 400Hz supply, so used in the 70s. I think the panels glowed internally over their whole area, but only showed where the captions were engraved through the outer grey surface.
Despite having worked on the Eurofighter/Typhoon aircraft for 13 years I can't remember what technology that uses for control panel lighting!
All the displays in the Apollo Guidance Computer DSKY were Electroluminent.
The spacecrafts were even lit by EL panels

Fran Blanche has a series of videos about the subject on Youtube.
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 7:37 pm   #25
Maarten
Dekatron

I'm sure suitable OLED replacements can be made for older EL panels, as they use quite similar technology.
Closed Thread