UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Apr 2019, 6:25 pm   #1
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default What sort of resistor is this..?

Nickel plated caps on either end, 10,000 printed on the glass and what appears to be a glass rod inside, speckled with dark fragments. At room temperature it measures 9.63kohm so accuracy is not paramount...could it be a fusible resistor?

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01051.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	181566  
Old 20th Apr 2019, 6:35 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: What sort of resistor is this..?

I think it is fusible,sure I have seen them before.
Old 20th Apr 2019, 6:44 pm   #3
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: What sort of resistor is this..?

I was going to say it was an ultra high resistance resistor. The glass envelope there to stop the surface becoming damp/contaminated and lowering its resistance.

I saw a couple of similar ones in a vintage Ekco battery valve Geiger counter years ago with massive resistance values in the input to the detector/amplifier though 10K is not very high so it’s a mystery. Maybe an early attempt for a high stability resistor being sealed in glass.

Christopher Capener
Old 20th Apr 2019, 7:38 pm   #4
buggies
Heptode

Bit low for a grid leak - but similar picture here:-
https://mullard.org/products/giant-d...ious-from-1929
Old 22nd Apr 2019, 5:59 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Is it actually a resistor? Could it be one of the 'electrolytic' elapsed-hours indicators that were commonplace in things like mainframe-computer hard-disc-drive units, professional tape/video-recorders and the like a few decades back.

The "10,000" could be 10,000-hours?

They're still available - see https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/hour-meters/0258164/

I fitted these in some of the linear-amplifiers I designed in times-past; one to show 'powered-up hours' and another to show 'actively-delivering-RF-output' hours.
Closed Thread