UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Apr 2019, 3:20 pm   #1
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Default TEAC 2300SX frequency at low speed

Hi all.

I have an issue with this Teac. I have calibrated it (almost) and on high speed (7.5 ips on this) it's perfect, input and tape out are identical. On low speed (3.5 ips on this) the tape out is muddy as hell, no highs to speak of at all.

Any suggestions as to what might be going on? Tried adjusting the EQ pots but it just makes it muddier, still very muddy with the pots turned right up.

David

Last edited by NorfolkDaveUK; 5th Apr 2019 at 3:48 pm.
Old 5th Apr 2019, 4:36 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: TEAC 2300SX frequency at low speed

Heads?

David
Old 5th Apr 2019, 5:16 pm   #3
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Hi David , no the heads on this are great , I have just noticed though that there is a fault somewhere because the EQ trimmer pots arent working correctly on the Mic/Replay amp .

The lower two are working for both 1 and 2 and the top two arent doing anything at all . The top two should be for 1 , the lower for 1 (or vise versa i forget) So I need to fault find the trimmer problems .

Last edited by NorfolkDaveUK; 5th Apr 2019 at 5:26 pm.
Old 5th Apr 2019, 5:59 pm   #4
JohnBHanson
Heptode

Maybe worth checking azimith - more critical at low speed
Old 5th Apr 2019, 7:18 pm   #5
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Thanks John . I`ve calibrated the azimuth with the YTT 1003 tape bud and its right on the money and its not out of phase . I`ve just cleaned the switch and I`ll have another go in a min .
Old 6th Apr 2019, 1:14 am   #6
TIMTAPE
Octode

Do you have playback frequency response alignment tapes for each speed, or one tape with sections for each speed? Does the machine perform within specs?

If no alignment tapes, check approximately by listening to the replay preamp hiss with no tape on the machine and gain high enough to hear the hiss. Switching from high to low speed, the preamp hiss should increase audibly and equally on left and right channels. If inconsistent, the speed switch EQ contacts may have oxidised due to lack of use.

We check one thing at a time. Always check and align the machine's replay performance on its own first. Once that is calibrated and reliable, it can now be used to check and align the machine's record performance - with a given tape at a given speed.

Obviously performance at the slower speed cannot match the higher, but it should be within specs for that particular tape at that speed.

Last edited by TIMTAPE; 6th Apr 2019 at 1:26 am.
Closed Thread