UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Apr 2019, 1:15 pm   #1
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Default Akai GX-265 strange pause

Hi this is an interesting one . I`ve bought this one for myself (hehe , i say that about all of them but hey ho) . This should be an interesting one to figure out .

It`s absolutely immaculate inside and out . I mean mint condition . However , rew and ffw will only work if the machine is in PAUSE , if the pause button is not down when you try and rew/ffw then the thing tries (and fails in rev play) to play . I`m thinking its probably one (or more) of the snubbers gone rogue , what do you guys think ? They are an absolute PIG to get too in this although the amp section comes out , which takes some of the pain away but , its still a chore , so if anyone has any ideal before I start to dig those out , let me know .

Thanks !

David
Old 6th Apr 2019, 1:23 pm   #2
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Default Re: Akai GX-265 strange pause

As you can see on the schematic, there are loads of snubbers there ready to play silly beggars . The rest is all micro switches , so I`m thinking it can really only be a snubber or a switch can`t it ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gxsnubbers.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	180957  
Old 6th Apr 2019, 2:51 pm   #3
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
So far as I can make out (the schematic's a bit fuzzy) operation of the Fast switch SW13 connects power to the brake solenoid eg: brakes off, if the contacts of SW13 don't change over an alternative path would be provided by operating the Pause switch SW10 so it might be worth checking that the contacts of SW13 do actually change over.

Lawrence.
Thanks Lawrence . I`ll check that but with the pause switch "off " the machine is using both spooling buttons as a play buttons , i.e. the pinch roller activates , and the machines actually plays in forward mode , it gets stuck in rev mode , so its possible you could be right but I dont think so because both fast and rew switches would need to wrong wouldnt they ? (assuming you are meaning the ffw switch when you say "fast"
Old 6th Apr 2019, 3:03 pm   #4
ms660
Dekatron

I deleted that post 'cos it's in error...My apologies.

Lawrence.
Old 6th Apr 2019, 3:20 pm   #5
ms660
Dekatron

It might be worth checking the diode, can't make out it's circuit ref but it's the one that has its cathode connected to the common contact of the pause switch SW10, if it was short the brake solenoid would work ok but the pinch roller solenoid would remain activated in FF/REW unless pause was selected.

Lawrence.
Old 6th Apr 2019, 3:21 pm   #6
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

I beat you too it for once . I just checked D15 and it was shot . Working fine now ...haha . Makes a change ..lol
Old 6th Apr 2019, 3:36 pm   #7
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorfolkDaveUK View Post
I beat you too it for once . I just checked D15 and it was shot . Working fine now ...haha . Makes a change ..lol
Is that the diode I suggested or another one?...I can't make out some of the circuit references.

EDIT: D15 is the diode I suggested, found a clearer schematic here:

http://oldradio.tesla.hu/rajzok/magn...65d%20rajz.pdf

Lawrence.
Old 6th Apr 2019, 4:52 pm   #8
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Yeah I have a good schematic mate . Its the forum making it look crap for some reason , I think its because I have a 3 monitor set up so when I use print screen it makes a big image and then I crop the schematic out and it makes it really small . But yeah I removed and replaced D15 , came back here and you has suggested it so for once I was ahead ..hehe .. Thanks as always bud !
Old 7th Apr 2019, 3:24 pm   #9
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Just looking for some conformation for something I already know here really . Looking at the schematic below . If I have play in forward direction , and no play in reverse direction (on the right side) , then it can ONLY be the head or the switch right ? Because the forward and reverse use the same circuit , it just switches the heads over. The switch was in a terrible condition when i took it apart and cleaned it but it cleaned up ok . The heads are reading the same in terms of Ohms so I`m guessing it`ll be the switch wiring ? Anyone have a wiring diag for the head switch , I`m pretty sure I put it back together right , I only needed to remove the top row to remove the switch , but you never know . I may have written it down wrong I guess . I initially pulled the switch because it wasnt switching heads at all and i had no play what so ever in forward . Thats now working fine , just the right side rev play thats now dead .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	head switch.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	180996   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190407_122708.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	180997   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190407_124834.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	180998  
Old 7th Apr 2019, 4:26 pm   #10
ms660
Dekatron

The GX-260 head switch might use the same board as yours, the board number given for the GX-260 is ND-0025, the manual for GX-260 (eg: vintageshifi) shows the head switch wiring (manual page 25)....any use?

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 7th Apr 2019 at 4:34 pm. Reason: addition
Old 7th Apr 2019, 4:36 pm   #11
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

yup perfect ! thank .

I`m not too sure whats going on here . in forward play everything is fine , In reverse play the switch goes short ground to all right side head pins , I just pulled the switch again to make sure the contacts didnt get messed up when I rebuilt the switch or something but thats not it , Ill keep digging . Thanks for your help !
Old 7th Apr 2019, 5:04 pm   #12
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

OK all done , it must have been the wiring short somewhere , all the screen type cables are pretty "snug" so my suspicion is I shorted the top and bottom head "grounds" . all good now anyway , I love these machines they always sound great once you get them how they should be huh .
Closed Thread