UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Old 19th Nov 2021, 9:35 am   #1
toshiba tony
Heptode

Default Sony CX355

Hello all, Stuck with this one. It's my Sony 300 disc player. Thought it might be the belts, although they felt OK and I had only changed them a few years ago. What happens is as you fill the carriage it is more hesitant to accept a disk. The first 100 are fine, and as more disks are fitted the carriage might just give a twitch, power it down and it may be ok for another hour or so. there is plenty of torque on the carriage. Eventually as the tray gets full all I am getting is table error, I don't think it's temperature related as immediately after power up it's ok again, time to pull my scope out again but apart from checking LED sensors where do I go? Thanks anybody.
toshiba tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Nov 2021, 9:45 am   #2
G6ONEDave
Heptode

Default Re: Sony CX355

I had a Sony 300 disc unit that had some polystyrene packing stuck in the gear drive, last year, that caused similar issues. Also check for a split drive gear, that might be opening up on the split when load increases.

Dave
Old 19th Nov 2021, 10:32 am   #3
toshiba tony
Heptode

Thanks Dave, tried all you said, did a lot of years for Sony. Worked on these a lot. It's an odd one, there is bags of torque on the platter, not even convinced it's electronic. It's just odd that if you power down and immediately back on its fine for another hour or so. All DC lines are fine, and mechanically it seems OK.
I'd even get another one, there seems to be a few about, it hadn't been any bother from new, thanks though. Tony Walker
Old 20th Nov 2021, 5:19 pm   #4
G6ONEDave
Heptode

Hi Tony, might be a silly comment but is the drive motor fully functional. I was just remebering those Sony spindle motors that get a dead spot, that can sometimes be hard to diagnose. The only other thought at present is a possible dip in the supplie rails to the motor and or it's control circuit.

Dave
Old 22nd Nov 2021, 6:18 am   #5
toshiba tony
Heptode

Hello Dave, just seen your added post. Do you mean the CD spindle motor or the carriage motor. It never has an issue reading a disk, once a disk has been placed in the deck it will play forever, it's on now and strangely enough it's behaving. Ta.
Old 22nd Nov 2021, 3:18 pm   #6
G6ONEDave
Heptode

Hi Tony, no I meant the drive motor for the rotating selector ring, sorry don't know Sony's name for it. I wondered if that motor was exhibiting the same issues as the spindle motors in various Sony mechs. You know the intermittant dead or flat spot trouble, which when the motor is physically rotated to the next position on the commutator appears to work OK again. Of course you hopefully should see a repetitive 'blip' on the supply to it if viewed with an oscilloscope, or a lack of supply current draw if it's stopped on the dead segment.

It's just a suggestion and may well be nothing to do with it but perhaps worth investigation.

Dave
Old 25th Nov 2021, 9:39 am   #7
toshiba tony
Heptode

Still going for a mechanical issue. When the fault is present rotating the carousel by hand immediately restores normal operation. Symptomatic of belt failure but they are fine, bags of torque!
Old 25th Nov 2021, 10:14 am   #8
G6ONEDave
Heptode

Possibly worn teeth on the small drive gear causing sloppiness in the teeth meshing? Another suggestion is play in the gear shaft/s due to worn bearings. I'll have to dig out the one that I have for a closer look but that won't be till next week, as I'm a bit otherwise involved at present.

Dave