UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Apr 2011, 2:35 pm   #101
dave cox
Nonode

Default Re: TEK scope excitement dashed

I will check to see what I have in my collection of crystals this evening.But, to be honest, the inbuilt calibrator is usually enough unless the timing components or attenuators have been replaced.

dc

Last edited by dave cox; 13th Apr 2011 at 2:37 pm. Reason: grammatical correction
Old 13th Apr 2011, 2:38 pm   #102
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Any crystal oscillator is going to be orders of magnitude more accurate than a scope timebase. If you can display the output of any crystal oscillator you will be able to check the scope calibration over a range of timebase settings. Voltage calibration can be done with no more than a variable DC supply and a DVM.

I ought to add that if you have a sophisticated scope with cursors and other refinements you may need somethng a bit more accurate for calibrating it, especially on the voltage axis. For OTT's purposes, rough and ready methods will be fine. Actually the methods I've described above can be very accurate indeed but it is neither easy nor convenient to do a full and accurate calibration using them.

When I first saw this thread I thought the idea of replacing a specially built Tek CRT with some other odd CRT was completely mad. I suppose I was thinking of the highly sophisticated CRTs used in Tek's high performance scopes such as the 24xx series where a substitution would be impossible. OTT's scope is a fairly simple design and so presumably has a fairly simple CRT.

Finally, if you're going to be probing around 405 line tellies, please remember to use an isolating transformer. Lifting the 'scope's earth is very bad practice.
Old 13th Apr 2011, 3:47 pm   #103
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that, and I'm pleased as punch the internal calibrator will suffice.

Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for your input it's much appreciated, It's good to know that for my use it's good to go WME_Bill and woodchips are stars and i'm ever so grateful to them along with everybody who chipped in with really helpful suggestions.

yes I have and ISO TX and would not dream of lifting the earth.

Chris
Closed Thread