UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jul 2016, 7:20 pm   #1
ms660
Dekatron

Default Measuring RMS noise

With an oscilloscope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHU9xdU51FY

Not sure if I've put that in the right section here?

Anyone tried this method?

All comments welcome.

Lawrence.
Old 3rd Jul 2016, 7:56 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Measuring RMS noise

Hmm

Tek's applications note isn't bad, but it does make the assumption that the probability density function of the noise is Gaussian. It usually is, and the central limit theorem makes this likely, unless the individual noise contributions are related by say avalanche mechanisms.

If you try this to assess the level of noise out of a receiver, you'll find the noise is not as smooth as he has, and unless you slow the scope down to a slow speed, it'll look jumpy, and it'll be too slow to do the eyeball comparison. His demo is using a much broader bandwidth of noise... a factor of about 10,000 times.

Where he comes unstuck is right at the beginning by saying what the power level of the noise is. With a noise signal, power is distributed over frequency and so the total amount of power you see depends not only on the noise signal, but also on the bandwidth of what you're using to look at it with. So if you have a wider bandwidth scope, you'll think the noise level is greater. You cannot state noise powers without also stating what bandwidth that noise power is in.

David
Old 3rd Jul 2016, 8:02 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

Have you got or can you point me to tek's application note, I'd be interested to read it.

Lawrence.
Old 3rd Jul 2016, 11:12 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

It was something I read back as a student. I used to build oscilloscopes as a schoolkid, so I read everything in the electronics engineering department I could get my hands on. I don't have a copy. Most of the stuff I've kept copies of date to my time in R&D at HP, so Tek stuff was a bit thin on the ground. We sold proper true RMS meters, real thermal converters!

David
Old 3rd Jul 2016, 11:58 pm   #5
kalee20
Dekatron

I seem to remember, assessing noise using a 2 channel scope was an idea of someone 'out there' who submitted it to Tektronix in response to a contest for novel scope applications.

It would hardly work with a digital storage scope, of course, with a uniformly bright readout.
Old 4th Jul 2016, 1:11 am   #6
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Quote:
Anyone tried this method?
Yes, I saw this video via another forum a few years ago.

I tried it using my Tek 465 and a wideband(ish) noise source that goes from 200kHz to 180MHz. This produces an extremely flat noise response across the whole BW at about -86dBm/Hz. I tried using various LPFs after the noise source to limit the BW of the noise into the scope to sensible bandwidths where the scope response was flat.

I got good results when cross checked against a 100kHz to 5GHz Anritsu thermocouple power meter and a Racal true rms meter. However, I didn't copy his test setup in the youtube video because I didn't like the way he had used 'tee' connections to the Hi Z scope inputs. They will look like shunt capacitors (and eventually stubs) once you get well into the HF>VHF region. So the load impedance won't be a constant 50R across such a wide frequency range.

So I used a different method to terminate it all correctly and this helps to minimise the overall measurement uncertainty.

Last edited by G0HZU_JMR; 4th Jul 2016 at 1:34 am.
Old 4th Jul 2016, 1:21 am   #7
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

One thing that is probably worth mentioning is what a high level wideband (180MHz) noise source looks like when fed into a scope like the 100MHz Tek 465. i.e. when the full 180MHz noise BW is fed into the scope without any band limiting LPF after it.

This is a precision noise source I made many years ago that is flat to (probably) less than 0.15dB across the full 180MHz range. It uses a NoiseCOM noise source and a chain of carefully selected amplifiers and pads and band limiting filters to keep a +15dB margin for P1dB against the average power of the noise in the given bandwidth. This preserves the integrity of the noise source so it can be used for making valid measurements.

When fed into the scope with such a wide bandwidth, the trace doesn't look like flickery noise anymore. It just looks like a smooth 'fog' across the scope display with the expected probability density. Almost like the focus has developed a major fault and spread itself across the screen or as if the trace has been airbrushed onto the screen with such fine granularity that it looks perfectly smooth.
It looks quite pretty as the foggy look smoothly dims towards the edges of the display.

Last edited by G0HZU_JMR; 4th Jul 2016 at 1:31 am.
Old 4th Jul 2016, 9:32 am   #8
mhennessy
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0HZU_JMR View Post
I didn't like the way he had used 'tee' connections to the Hi Z scope inputs. They will look like shunt capacitors (and eventually stubs) once you get well into the HF>VHF region. So the load impedance won't be a constant 50R across such a wide frequency range.
Exactly
Old 4th Jul 2016, 9:59 am   #9
ms660
Dekatron

Had a Google around....I think this is the original article that the video in the link was referring to.....Tekscope, April 1969:

http://w140.com/tekwiki/images/e/e3/...2_Apr_1969.pdf

Lawrence.
Closed Thread