UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Nov 2017, 12:37 am   #1
Neil Purling
Nonode

Default Ever Ready PP5

Has an original example of one of these ever surfaced?
I have a little 'Inscol' TR661 radio (also marketed as 'Harlie'). The battery terminals are not on a piece of paxolin. They are just soldered onto the wires, that's it.

It made me wonder if this radio could have used this strange battery.
Old 27th Nov 2017, 10:07 am   #2
vidjoman
Dekatron

Default Re: Ever Ready PP5

There was an earlier thread which gives some details. https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?p=639512
Old 27th Nov 2017, 10:22 am   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

The PP5 was an odd beast. I think the Sinclair Micro FM used it....that was my only experience of it. I have no idea what it was originally designed for. It has the same size connections as for the PP3 but one at each end. You could probably fabricate one using suitable button cells, either 7 or 8 stacked in series would probably work. Even back in the late 60's they were difficult to find and most stock left was out of date.

I can't even find an image of one anywhere.

Last edited by Sideband; 27th Nov 2017 at 10:30 am.
Old 27th Nov 2017, 5:16 pm   #4
emeritus
Dekatron

This old thread

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=49180

describes the construction of a PP4 substitute that might be useful: the PP4 was similar to the PP5.
Old 27th Nov 2017, 8:09 pm   #5
Neil Purling
Nonode

That little Inscol radio did not use a PP5. The types listed inside the radio were all for US makers & were the PP3 type
As Ever Ready is no longer in the same hands as it was, where would you get the technical specs of the battery types? Physical dimensions and the current capacity in mAh.
Old 27th Nov 2017, 9:07 pm   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The PP5 was the size of an AAA [U16] It was used as far as I can remember during the 1961/2 period only in very small pocket transistor radios. I have an AERO that uses one but unfortunately don't have a dud one. They had a VERY short life. 9v with connections at each end similar to PP3 as mentioned. They cost 2/6d in 1962.

The PP4 was the size of a C cell with larger PP9 connectors at each end. The very early versions were rectangular.John.
Old 27th Nov 2017, 10:16 pm   #7
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Home Radio catalogue info gives the PP5's dimensions as 5/8" x 19/32" x 1 7/8" - I expect that refers to the earlier form of the battery, later examples being cylindrical.

Below is an ad from the 1962 Radio Show catalogue, showing Ever Ready's full Power Pack range: PP5 at bottom left.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	batteries.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	152978  

Last edited by Paul_RK; 27th Nov 2017 at 10:24 pm.
Old 27th Nov 2017, 11:15 pm   #8
GW4FRX
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
The PP5 was an odd beast. I think the Sinclair Micro FM used it....that was my only experience of it.
It did indeed and they were extremely hard to find. The Micro FM only worked for an hour or so before going into squegging and motorboating when the battery started to fade. Wretched thing!
Old 27th Nov 2017, 11:31 pm   #9
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW4FRX View Post
The Micro FM only worked for an hour or so before going into squegging and motorboating when the battery started to fade. Wretched thing!
I had to resort to making a small hole in the side and making a clip to take a PP3. Nearly every PP5 I bought was out of date and only lasted a short time. After about three attempts to find a good one by one supplier, he gave up and gave me a refund.....

I seem to recall it was rectangular but with rounded corners, plastic case. I don't remember seeing a round one at all.
Old 28th Nov 2017, 7:11 am   #10
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battery_sizes

Gives most battery sizes, but not PP5.
Old 28th Nov 2017, 8:55 am   #11
Neil Purling
Nonode

I assume that the midget AM radios were around in other markets before the UK and Ever Ready made a battery to suit them. Does anyone know what current that the Sinclair Micro FM radio drew?
The PP5 looks like a PP3 that has been chopped in half vertically, with a capacity that is less than half.
I another thread on a PP5 battery replacement the dimensions of the PP5 were given and it is a half PP3. What rating was a sixties zinc-carbon PP3 anyway?
The Aero 6 radio a member has was said to draw 15mA at normal volume on a broadcast.
Closed Thread