UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jan 2017, 7:14 am   #201
Levente
Hexode

Default Re: Tandberg 64x after changing capacitors

Thnks Ricard, Lawrence,

Something happened. But before I share, could you please advise me on this:

Which section, parts or components are the most responsible to balance the EQ between the to channels on this machine?

1. The bias board, bias head
2. The heads alignment
3. The two ecc81 tubes on the recording head
4. The dried out electrolyt 80uF capacitor on te bias board

What happened yesterday is that i have decided to go through all the works i have done on this and re check everything. On the Recording and Playback board everything seemed OK.

I went to the bias board again everything is ok (however I am suspicious on the 80uF electrolyt cap on there).

Then, i have put a tape on set to A+B Recording mode and connected the headphone and started to poking on everything with a screw driver. When I've reached by accident the bias head, the tip of the screw driver touched the joint point of the red wire connected to the bias head and the chassis. Suddenly the second channel came alive?!

The same gain, on A+B mode both channels are having more or less the same gain!

First I thought is it something to do with the some weird circuit problem as visually the joint point of the red wire and the bias head looked intact.

I have re soldered all of them, the yellow, red, green, black wires and I have bot channels with the same gain, no crackling noise.

The only difference i can here is between the two is the EQ. One channel sounds like when you turn up the bass on an amplifier kinda bassy dark ish, the other one is the opposite, sounds like when you turn up the treble.

This is why I have asked the question above....

I will start again with a pre recorded tape to set the playback head first 100% as you have advised Lawrence and re clean the head, then move on following the manual for the rest...

I am just suspicious on few things what could cause this EQ differences if the head alignment is not the source of the problem.

Thanks guys again, this lit again some small light of hope that one day I will be able to say that this beautiful gear is working and I can not be more thankful to you guys here and this web site as this is a serious help here for everybody. Hats off.

Levente
Closed Thread