UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Aug 2022, 10:27 pm   #21
GMB
Dekatron

Default Re: Meter protection - when diodes won't work

I have considered adding a capacitor but that changes the meter's ballistics and can result in unexpected readings from funny waveforms.
Old 25th Aug 2022, 8:52 am   #22
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

This is quite a good description about the small current behavior of diodes here https://spinningnumbers.org/a/diode-equation.html

The upshot is that a diode being a clamp is not how it works at low currents.

Suppose you want the diode current to be less than 1/100 of the full scale current, so that the maximum error in reading is 1%, so 50uA/100 = 500nA. For a silicon diode that current will pass for a voltage of ~0.33V. Which is of course just fine. Now suppose we want 3x current overload, and so need a current of 150uA. That is reached with a diode voltage of 0.47V, so a coil power of 0.47 x 150 x 10^-6 = 70uW. The nominal full scale is 50 x 10^-6 x 0.04 = 2uW. So the coil power overload is 35 times.

For a Germanium diode this works out at ~10mV, so might give rise to meter non linearity at 40mV. But if we want three times current overload at 150uA, that is reached at 0.125V, and so a coil power of 18uW, so a factor of 9 times power overload. The problem with a germanium diode, apart from the potential for meter non-linearity, is that the IV characteristics are strongly temperature dependent, more so than silicon.

There is a further complication of a fudge factor called the "ideality factor" that modifies the IV behaviour of a diode

So meter protection with back to back diodes is a little more complicated than might be imagined. It is a fine balancing act between meter non-linearity and protection.

Craig
Old 28th Aug 2022, 9:08 am   #23
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

It is worth saying that if you put an opamp between the circuit and the meter, such as you would to match a meter with different characteristics, you can easily implement a current limit or voltage clamp much more effectively than simple back to back diodes.

Craig
Old 28th Aug 2022, 10:44 pm   #24
GMB
Dekatron

The term "back to back" keeps being mentioned, but just to be clear they are anti-parallel diodes (one clamps the meter in normal polarity and the other copes with reverse voltage). Back to back would not help at all!
Old 30th Aug 2022, 6:33 pm   #25
Vintage Engr
Heptode

I've just stumbled across this discussion, and wonder if anyone had ever had a problem with meter protection on the Ferrograph RTS2 audio test set. I believe the original meter 's FSD is 100 microamps.

I had my original RTS2 for around 30 years, and the meter on this unit has always seemed a little under-protected. I now have another unit that I was hoping to swap the meter out of (my original's meter graphics have faded completely & also the movement is very sticky).
I found another RTS2 with what looked like a perfect meter.. The scale was fine, but the meter is o/c.
So before proceeding with a repair, I thought I'd see if anyone had been there first.

David.
Closed Thread