UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jun 2020, 4:26 pm   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Tinning a new soldering iron bit.

Just bought a couple of new bits for my Maplin soldering iron station. During the process of trying to locate the new bits, I came across information regarding tinning new bits before use. Now, I've been using soldering irons since the early 70s and as I recall I have never done any 'pre-tinning' of a new bit. During college and my works apprenticeship, no-one ever mentioned tinning a new bit. After all, the first time you use it, you apply solder and it gets tinned surely?!

Anyway, I have just looked at the normal long winded 20 minute American videos on Youtube showing you how to tin a bit from new. Basically, to wrap 60/40 solder around the cold bit, switch on and let it do its job then stir the tip around in the dome of solder that's now on your work surface. Some methods apply flux first, others don't.

What do you say? Any 'tips'? Is pre tinning really necessary?

Also, one of the guys said to never switch off a soldering iron without making sure it was nicely tinned to protect it. Hmm, in the past I would generally wipe my iron clean on the wet sponge before switching off thinking that the flux would attack the bit!
Old 28th Jun 2020, 4:31 pm   #2
Aub
Nonode

Default Re: Tinning a new soldering iron bit.

Steve, I've been doing the same as you, also for a long time, so if you've been doing it wrong you're not the only one. 🙂

Cheers

Aub
Old 28th Jun 2020, 5:16 pm   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I've always tinned new soldering iron bits. I put the bit in, turn on the iron and hold the end of the solder against the bit as it warms up. Thus it tins as soon as it can.

I don't do anything special when turning the iron off though. I just leave the solder on the bit that's already there. Surely if the remaining flux will attack the bit metal, it would also attack any connections I've soldered with it (if flux remains on the bit, it'll remain on the joints I've made too) which would seem to be a major problem if it occured. It doesn't (at least not with 'electronic' type fluxes) so I don't worry about it on the soldering iron bit either.
Old 28th Jun 2020, 10:03 pm   #4
turretslug
Dekatron

I can't help thinking that the iron would quickly flare off any remaining flux on the tip anyway. It'll stay hot rather longer than any joints made with it, and they soon turn most flux into smoke as they are made- if the joint's adequately hot which it should be.

I used to find that the older-type new Antex bits needed a bit of pre-work with cored solder to wet and tin them before they were fully effective, but for a long time now both they and Weller bits seemed to be fully effective from the off- as said, the first few working joints were the tinning.
Old 28th Jun 2020, 10:40 pm   #5
bigfathairyvika
Hexode

Afaik, tinning of soldering iron bits stems from the fact that a long time ago the bits where not tinned when made. So if you didnt tin them asap the first heating would result in the bit rusting quickly. The tinning just put some protection from air on them before this happened.

Every bit I've seen for many years has always come pre tinned with some sort of coating from new.

As for switch off procedure, I've always just turned the thing off cleaned or not. At switch on I always clean and re tin every time.

Mark
Old 28th Jun 2020, 10:57 pm   #6
Dennis M
Pentode

I use one of these -
From RS Components
Multicore Cleaner RS Stock No. 507-8698
Closed Thread