UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Dec 2018, 10:08 am   #101
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Redundant DAB sets?

Many online radio stations don’t have the bandwidth to support their listeners. Drop outs are common on some of them, the larger stations have the money to support the required bandwidth, many don’t.
Horses for courses as the saying goes, use what is best for your purpose.
Old 17th Dec 2018, 10:50 am   #102
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

You've got me a bit confused there Grubhead. Frank summed it up well. Most people evaluate reception on the basis of content first and then lack of interference. Only the tech savvy go on to bit rates and/or propagation theory. I thought you must be a taking a high level view as many audio enthusiasts do but you seem to describe a rather narrow field of interest... then go to say that you are inclined to give up on Radio listening altogether, along with music in taxis and at the dentist. This is all in the context of finding radio by [Internet access] acceptable, for your dad as well

Is it possible that your frustration about losing Sunday's Top 40 [something I might pay to avoid] has been displaced onto the DAB discussion which is really based on Alexa! Either way I was watching the repeated BBC4 Charles Dickens Documentary last night, heavily featuring "A Christmas Carol" followed by Simon Callow's latest production of this essay in Good Will.

You're timing might be a bit unfortunate Merry Xmas!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 17th Dec 2018 at 10:58 am.
Old 17th Dec 2018, 11:34 am   #103
paulsherwin

No more DAB is great / DAB is rubbish type posts please. People will have their own opinions. DAB as implemented in the UK makes no pretence of being a hifi radio system. This matters to some people and not to others.
Old 17th Dec 2018, 1:48 pm   #104
mhennessy
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubhead View Post
Also that only the UK was pushing it and nobody else was bothered about it.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...oadcasts-on-fm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countries_using_DAB/DMB
Old 17th Dec 2018, 2:43 pm   #105
paulsherwin

There seems to be some confusion between DAB and DAB+. Lots of countries are using DAB+, but only Norway and the UK have rolled out national systems based on bog standard DAB. Norway has always been particularly gung ho about DAB, even more so than the UK.

It's true that DAB tuners are almost never included in home cinema systems. It isn't used in North America or Japan, which have been the largest markets for these products. Separate hifi tuners are available, but these are rather pointless as an internet streaming box will give much better quality. The Chinese have a limited DAB service in Beijing and this may drive support if adopted more widely.
Old 17th Dec 2018, 4:15 pm   #106
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

I think I saw something recently which suggested that Norway may be having second thoughts about its digital radio switchover. I'm not sure how reliable the source was, though.
Old 17th Dec 2018, 8:58 pm   #107
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I would be inclined to think [having read all the comments so far] that if a country changes it's approach it might not be any kind of Broadcasting mode issue [in the terrestrial sense]. It's more likely to be a response to the increasing reliance on "reception" through the Internet with the dubious "assistance" of ever present humanoid devices. That's where Eddie Mair started really. The ALEXA, which as everyone points out is so basic, might be in the same relation to future developments as a Spark Transmitter to the Mobile Phone!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 17th Dec 2018 at 9:07 pm.
Closed Thread