UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Mar 2013, 5:07 pm   #1
RichClaytonHull
Retired Dormant Member

Default Goblin Teasmade Model 854K

We recently bought the above model Teasmade. It arrived in good condition, excepting needing a bit of general cleaning, and replacing a blown lamp.

It's the first one we've owned, but I was a bit concerned with the material inside the kettle lid. It's a little worn where it's made contact with the kettle rim. I've attached a photo, but not sure how clear it is really.

My concern is that it looks a little like asbestos. Does anyone know whether this is asbestos? It could just be cardboard of course.

Thanks in advance.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130323_130338.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	77863  
Old 25th Mar 2013, 5:47 pm   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Goblin Teasmade Model 854K

I don't think it's cardboard as that would fall to bits, but looks like some sort of gasket material to me - we've an 855 with the same kettle in daily use.
I have replaced a kettle lid washer on an 854 successfully using gasket material, freely available from motor factors.

It's only one type of asbestos (blue) which is dangerous if the fibres are inhaled and I'm fairly positive that your kettle doesn't use that.
Unless it is leaking, I'd be inclined to leave it as is.
Old 25th Mar 2013, 6:57 pm   #3
RichClaytonHull
Retired Dormant Member

Many thanks Mike, most assuring. We'll leave it has it is, as it's working fine with no leaks.

All the best

Rich
Old 25th Mar 2013, 9:54 pm   #4
Tim
Dekatron

Can one still buy gasket material from car accessory shops?
Old 25th Mar 2013, 10:08 pm   #5
Nicklyons2
Octode

I've enquired from an old friend who used to repair these & he is 99% certain that it is a 'Fibre' washer not asbestos. The washers were often red or black and are similar material to the 'hard' washer old kettles used to have on the rear connector - one fibre and one rubber.
Old 26th Mar 2013, 12:09 am   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
It's only one type of asbestos (blue) which is dangerous if the fibres are inhaled
ISTR that any asbestos is potentially hazardous, though blue is worse than white. Even if it were asbestos here, the damp operating conditions would keep it pretty much safe anyway. I don't think asbestos is actually poisonous,it's pretty much inert.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 26th Mar 2013, 8:28 am   #7
RichClaytonHull
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks again, seems we're pretty safe then... well other than the fear of an imminent explosion moments before the alarm goes off I appreciate that it's perfectly normal, but who needs the alarm when you've got a mini steam engine going off at the side of your head then as a final measure the most grating of loud alarms goes off to make sure you're awake... love it!

I've been buying a few vintage things over the last weeks, and the one thing that stands out on all of them.. the marking or badge that reads "Made in England". A TV, a Hifi, a battery clock, Teasmade... all still going strong... what a testament to those manufacturers from a berated decade.. the 70's.

Cheers
Rich
Old 26th Mar 2013, 10:08 am   #8
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Can one still buy gasket material from car accessory shops?
I'm sure you can, Tim, though I have a load of it in stock. Probably the type of shops that are the "Motor Factor" sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklyons2 View Post
I've enquired from an old friend who used to repair these & he is 99% certain that it is a 'Fibre' washer not asbestos. The washers were often red or black and are similar material to the 'hard' washer old kettles used to have on the rear connector - one fibre and one rubber.
They do resemble the stuff they make fibre washers from; I've a D25 (1950s) and an 854 and 855; all these have grey kettle washers.
Old 26th Mar 2013, 10:50 am   #9
Station X

When I last needed to make some gaskets for a vintage engine, I sourced the gasket material from Eriks who took over my local motor factor a few years back:-

http://www.eriks.co.uk/

I also get belts and bearings there.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread