UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Nov 2012, 9:09 pm   #1
Entellus
Retired Dormant Member

Default Goblin Teasmade in Australia

Hi all,

I have just bought a very hard to find (in Australia) Goblin 855 Teasmade. Problem is, no instructions. Not hard to work out I know, but does anybody have a copy of original owners handbook or maybe the wiring diagram?

I am fascinated with these things and am starting a collection of all models I can find here in Oz. I have been looking up the English sites and have noted how lucky you are, all models seem available there!

Anyhow I am a brand new member, and also new to Teasmades, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 26th Nov 2012, 12:40 am   #2
hamid_1
Heptode

Default Re: Goblin Teasmade in Australia

Welcome,

I'm fairly new to Teasmades myself, although I remember them from the 1970s and 80s I never actually owned one until 2010. Here in England, old ones are cheap and common in junk sales, flea markets etc. I bought a Goblin 855 for £2 - it was cheaper than buying a kettle and a teapot. I found the buzzer annoying so I then picked up a Radio Teasmade 870 which, as its name suggests, has the option of an AM/FM radio as well as the buzzer. Highly recommended if you can find one.

The older Teasmade models were discussed on a website called www.teawaker.com but sadly this site has gone offline. Luckily I saved a copy of the instructions and wiring diagram for the 855 - I've attached them here. Enjoy.

The author, Mike Phelan is a member on this forum and may be able to help if you have questions about the diagram or instructions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	855_circuit.jpg
Views:	1025
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	73242  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf instructions_835-855.pdf (20.8 KB, 6522 views)
Old 26th Nov 2012, 1:37 am   #3
paulsherwin

I'm surprised these were never exported to Oz given the Brit tea drinking culture there, but I know Australia had some fierce import restrictions on electrical goods in the 50s and 60s, supposedly for safety reasons.

Teasmades are still common in the UK and you should be able to buy lots of them from eBay etc. if you're willing to pay the postage costs.
Old 26th Nov 2012, 2:31 am   #4
suebutcher
Heptode

In the 80s Australia had the Breville Teasmade, a rebadged UK model I think. It was promoted in Breville's "Better Ideas Sooner" ad campaign, but didn't catch on. I was using a Breville until recently, but now I've developed the willpower to get up and make a cup of tea in the kitchen when the alarm clock rings!
Old 26th Nov 2012, 6:35 am   #5
Entellus
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Hamid 1, Paulsherwin and Suebutcher, Sorry if my reply is late or out of sync, different time zones! Your replies are much appreciated. I appreciate the electrical diagram and other information. In reply to Paulsherwin, yes the Teasmade was imported to Aus but they were really expensive. Do not know why, import duties? My Mother had one in the 70's and it went for years without a fault but they never really caught on, price of course.

I have just scored an 860 model off ebay, but the bidding is usually pretty fierce because all of a sudden they are in! My Wife has really wanted one for a while now, and I will have one for her for Christmas. Really envious of the situation in England, you have the pick of all models.

Thanks again, I feel a little out of the game down here.
Old 26th Nov 2012, 10:04 am   #6
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

The main problem with buying one of these and indeed anything (including clock radios) with a mains-driven synchronous motor is to check first that the stator winding in the clock isn't OC. The wire is typically something like 46 SWG and soon corrodes when it has been standing in a damp shed. Not easy to rewind.

Back to the Teasmades, the 855 has a tiny motor with plastic gears which can wear severely. The older D25 is much more robust.

Some tape round the 855's buzzer armature will quieten it quite a lot.

860 and later ones suffer from flimsy switches. Some are badged "Swan" after Goblin and Swan became part of BSR.
Old 26th Nov 2012, 12:15 pm   #7
emeritus
Dekatron

The clock on my mother's Teasmade stopped working a couple of years ago. It turned out to be that the grease on the plastic motor pinion had gone hard, causing the gear to seize. Luckily there was no damage, and simply picking the hardened grease from between the teeth with a needle and regreasing fixed it.
Old 26th Nov 2012, 1:17 pm   #8
suebutcher
Heptode

I rewound the blown clock motor on my Breville Teasmade using thicker gauge wire from the discarded buzzer, and ran it via a small low voltage transformer mounted inside the casing. It's still going fifteen years later. So they can be fixed, after a fashion.
Old 27th Nov 2012, 7:22 am   #9
Entellus
Retired Dormant Member

Hi all,

Well I cannot thank you all enough for the very helpful replies. I have a bit to learn about these teamakers. I have taken aboard all the advice.

Thanks again.
Old 6th Feb 2013, 10:54 am   #10
casslloyd
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Entellus,

I have a Goblin Teasmade so contact me if you are still wanting one for parts etc.
Closed Thread