UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Nov 2010, 10:17 pm   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Question Mains operated version of Philips 'Mignon'!!

I came across the following item:-
Philips AG2100D/95 'Mignon' Power source AC Mains 110/127/220v 50Hz

As many forum members will know the 'Mignon'(What DOES the word mean?)
is(was) a 45rpm only record player designed for in-car use, and thus fitted with a 6v DC Motor, with series resistors to allow for either 6 or 12v operation
From the illustration the player mentioned above looks virtually identical to
the usual DC one, and, never having heard of a mains version, I wondered
(a)why such a thing was ever made, and (b) whether any other forum
members know anything about this model. A quick search on Google returned no results.
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 10:22 pm   #2
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Default Re: Mains operated version of Philips 'Mignon'!!

Hi,
"Mignon" is French and means cute, sweet or kind.
Cheers de Pete
Old 4th Nov 2010, 12:32 pm   #3
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Mains operated version of Philips 'Mignon'!!

As a footnote to my post #1 above, I have found that Philips produced several mains powered versions of the 'Mignon', such as the AG2100D/75a(220v), the AG2161/95a(110/127/220v)principally for the European and American markets. I'm not sure whether it's OK to upload pictures from eBay(or any other site for that matter)so haven't done so, but these were usually in coffee & cream color plastic cases. I still can't see why anyone would have wanted such a thing for home use, though.
Closed Thread