UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2017, 8:44 pm   #1
RojDW48
Nonode

Default Sansui 310 tuner/amp - intermittent fault

I have had this unit for some years and I generally use it to check out peripherals like decks and speakers and it's quite nice. Now both channels come and go - right channel is the worst offender. Winding the source selector brings them back - but not for long! I have tried cleaning up the contacts but it made no difference at all. Easing the selector from Aux to disc results in a nasty motorboating noise. Tuner is a little more stable but not much. I am a complete novice when it comes to solid state things - so I am hoping for the 'Oh, I had one of those that did that and it was.....' kind of response. Ever the optimist!
Old 15th Dec 2017, 5:39 pm   #2
qualityten
Octode

Default Re: Sansui 310 tuner/amp - intermittent fault

Probably the best answer is 'Oh I had one of those and I chucked it out after 45 years,' given that SS receivers can be obtained quite cheaply if only needed for testing peripherals. I saw a clean Akai amplifier in a charity shop for £12 earlier today.

However, the operation manual and schematic is available here: https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...nsui/310.shtml Have you had a look at all the solder joints? Maybe just a dry one somewhere. Good luck.
Old 15th Dec 2017, 8:53 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Bad switch contacts. Clean them again. The switch may be knackered though.
Old 15th Dec 2017, 9:14 pm   #4
RojDW48
Nonode

Is it only 45 years old? A mere stripling compared to most of my stuff.

Thanks Paul - I shall have another go at the multi-gang switch before I give up on it.