UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jul 2016, 3:39 pm   #1
johnny
Retired Dormant Member

Default Holding multiple turns together

I discovered that by coating the turns with clear nail varnish as you go along, it prevents them from unravelling if one has weak fingers. Beware of the fumes though. No workshop or homebrewer should be without.
Old 6th Jul 2016, 4:14 pm   #2
vidjoman
Dekatron

Default Re: holding multiple turns together

Be aware that nail varnish may dissolve the varnish coating on wires. I do use nail varnish as a nut locker to prevent nuts working loose due to vibration. Easy to apply and easy to break the seal if you need to undo the nut.
Old 6th Jul 2016, 6:32 pm   #3

Default Re: Holding multiple turns together

SHMBO gives me her unwanted colours of nail varnish, as you say, very useful. I put a spot of a bright colour on the join twixt critical bolts (nuts, screws etc.) and the surrounding metal on my motorcycle to check they haven't undone after a bit of fixing.
Quote:
Be aware that nail varnish may dissolve the varnish coating on wires
Normal nail varnish doesn't dissolve modern wire coverings, I say modern, anything younger than 50 years old.

Closed Thread