UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Apr 2021, 6:37 pm   #1
Restoration73
Nonode

Default Citronic

I have a rather elaborate disco consule for service, made by this firm that was
I think based at Melksham - someone may know about their history? TIA
Old 22nd Apr 2021, 7:58 pm   #2
kevinaston1
Hexode

Default Re: Citronic

Partial Citronic story

http://promobile.org.uk/issues/artic...in%20Wiltshire.

Now handled by AVSL in Manchester
Old 22nd Apr 2021, 8:18 pm   #3
McMurdo
Dekatron

The name comes from the address of founder Dick Wadham's home workshop, Site 2, hence Site 2 Electronic and then Citronic (pronounced site-tronic).
Citronic were a big manufacturer in the day, with well-regarded products under the Citronic name as well as manufacturing own-label products for others. When the factory closed aound 2003 they had been importing products from the far east. I remember the liquidation sale catalogue. The name was bought by dutch company Skytronic and used on their more upmarket products. In 2009 Skytronic UK became AVSL, and AFAIK took over the rights to use the brand from Skytronic.

In the 90's the place where I used to work would get sent Citronic's lab instruments for repair. I do remember they had some nice stuff, can't remember exactly what,but brands like Keithley, Marconi etc. I can't remember what scopes they used but they were something like Tek or Kikusui.
Old 22nd Apr 2021, 8:41 pm   #4
Restoration73
Nonode

Many thanks for the info, this aspect of audio equipment I have limited experience of.
Luckily I have diagrams, main problem is the inbuilt bipolar transistor PA, I might even use a modern outboard version with the same brand name.
It is well preserved in its original transit case. Garrard SP25 Mk5s belt drive.
Old 23rd Apr 2021, 8:58 pm   #5
McMurdo
Dekatron

These consoles are beginning to get a cult, though somewhat niche following especially in the northern-soul scene, where playing off proper records is seen as a big bonus. After being generally worthless during the cd and early MP3 uptake, a good condition 'double decks' console can be worth quite a bit. I would aim to keep it original unless the owner has specific requirements!
Old 24th Apr 2021, 5:50 am   #6
FIXITNOW
Octode

There is a Facebook Group for those that use it with info and circuit's in the file section

Double Deck Consoles From Citronic & Others - old DJs and old gear!
Old 24th Apr 2021, 10:07 am   #7
PsychMan
Octode

The company still served the DJ market in the early 2000s, as Kevin said with imports, the decks at least. I have some of their direct drive DJ decks from this era, which are Hanpin manufactured and almost identical to the stuff Audio Technica are knocking out now. Reasonable machines, not the best build quality compared with the likes of Technics.

They sold DJ mixers too at this time, and the one I have (MSX2) Is actually very good compared with other budget stuff. The pots are solid and durable and the sound quality is excellent. Not sure if these were also subbed out to others?

I did contact the company (or whoever owns them now) for service data on my decks a couple of years back, they were happy to send me all of the documents they had, including some advisories on potential issues. Not a common occurrence and quite nice of them - whoever they are now !
Old 24th Apr 2021, 6:49 pm   #8
Jez1234
Banned

I was always amazed at the quality of Citronic gear. I kind of associate "DJ gear" with cheap and nasty but Citronic stuff was anything but. They made some superb mosfet power amps which I have worked on a few of.

I wouldn't have thought it too problematic to repair the built in amp of the unit being discussed above.
Old 24th Apr 2021, 11:39 pm   #9
ben
Dekatron

Citronic, FAL...names that bring back memories for many of school discos, wedding, pub quiz/disco nights!!
Those higher -end consoles used to look like the flight deck of a 747.

Always used to dream of owning something like that (ended up making my own DJ console with some old furniture and some Sp25 Mk IIIs and Add-on Murphy amps from the jumble sale!)

The main disadvantage of using decks like the Sp25 which have AC motors is that there's no pitch control, so unless you play records of extremely close tempo, you cannot beat mix. Professional DJs obviously jumped on the SL1200, though before then I saw Lencos, with their mechanical varispeed used too.
Old 25th Apr 2021, 3:05 pm   #10
G6ONEDave
Octode

If you need to replace the Motorola MJ type output transistors, make sure that you use genuine types, which are now made by 'ON'. There are a lot of fakes around, which either have a low gain or lack of voltage rating.

Dave