UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jun 2020, 11:36 am   #1
HowardB
Pentode

Default Ferguson Firefly 382U

While restoring the 382, I created a spreadsheet detailing the components that needed changing. The sheet lists the caps and resistors along with their tolerances.
By entering the measured value it would indicate whether to 'keep' or 'replace'.

Also, I made a few slides to help me understand how the radio worked.
Just thought these might be of use to someone doing a similar job in the future...

Howard
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ferguson 382U.pdf (792.9 KB, 100 views)
File Type: ods Ferguson 382U Changes.ods (21.2 KB, 73 views)
Old 14th Aug 2020, 11:17 pm   #2
unitelex
Hexode

Default Re: Ferguson Firefly 382U

Nice work Howard,
This has been useful while I was assessing whether to buy one of these to restore especially your list of parts and the measurements you took

Best Regards
Chris
Old 15th Aug 2020, 11:37 am   #3
HowardB
Pentode

Default Re: Ferguson Firefly 382U

Hi Chris,
Glad to help.
If you get one, do be careful as it's AC/DC. It doesn't have a mains transformer and the chassis could be live, so special precausions are needed - when working on it you need to power it via an isolating transformer.
The other thing to note - I spent ages trying to track down the source of the horrible scratchy distorted sound. Turned out to be the speaker! This seems to be a common issue on these sets. Replaced with a cheap car speaker from Halfords and it now sounds great.

HowardB
Closed Thread