UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jan 2014, 8:42 pm   #1
beefstew
Retired Dormant Member

Default GPO 24V generator.

Hello, I am new to the forum. I am after some help. I have a ex GPO generator, which I think would have been carried by engineers. What would this have powered, as I am restoring it and looking for something it would have powered. It has three two pin brass plugs with 24 volt 20 amp output.

Many thanks, Stew.
Old 15th Jan 2014, 3:13 pm   #2
Bill
Pentode

Default Re: GPO 24V generator.

Is this driven by a Villiers engine? They were usually gas powered from a propane cylinder via a large diaphragm pressure regulator.
There was a variety of 24v equipment could be used with it. Eg: Wolf drill, small pumps ( for emptying "water" from street ducts, inspection lighting .
The engine was very noisy but long lasting due to the fuel used- no petrol dilution of the lube oil. The output voltage was all over the place, relying on a crude governor on the engine. The low voltage meant there were no electrical safety issues but ignored the gas leaking problems from the engine!
Closed Thread