UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jan 2014, 12:52 pm   #1
WME_bill
Octode

Default Bradley CT471 AC surge

CT471. As we are talking about these meters, can anyone suggest the cause of a huge surge of the meter pointer off scale when switching from DC to AC or vice-versa. After a few seconds the meter comes back and works correctly . The problem is that there are two closed AC feedback loops. The DC level is changed slightly when you switch from DC to AC (as para 5.6.2) and the feedback altered. I have tried breaking each loop but that does not identify the problem.
The main meter feedback loop to SC3/3 has no capacitors in it, and sets the DC conditions for DC and AC gain separately. I have changed all the capacitors in the AC amplifier feedback loop around C15 ,C29 and C16, C26 without solving it.
I note that amplifier loop gain is lower on the 12mv range and then increased for the other DC ranges, and I can switch between the DC ranges without problems.
So now I am stuck. Suggestions welcomed. wme_bill m0wpn
Old 8th Jan 2014, 9:33 pm   #2
glowinganode
Octode

Default Re: Bradley CT471 AC surge

Hi Bill, I had a similar fault which I put down to excessive offset current in the chopper input stage. I never did sort it out, as it had been stored in the damp and had all sorts of leakage around the bottom divider board which were compounding problems.
It's still under my bed drying out...

Rob.