UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 18th Sep 2018, 9:34 pm   #41
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Re: Lamp limiter plus Variac tip

I remember having some nerve conductivity tests at Addenbrookes hospital Cambridge. I was going ooh, ouch and getting very stresed. The doctor halted the test. Could not understand why I was so distressed by "only a few milliamps".
A different test was suggested which she said was not pleasant to patients. She explained it required an accupuncture type needle in my tongue tip and another inserted on top of my foot.
This I agreed to and nowhere near as bad as the first test involving shocks.
I was wired to a sensitive oscilloscope and af amplifier.
I was crackling away like top band static crashes in Summer.
They never did conclude much from all the tests I was put through.
My wife, sitting outside with other waiting patients told me they all were horrified as to what their fate would be. She says my protestationjs during the first test were clearly audible in the corridoor seating area!
A later mri scan showed the problem and I ended up with spine surgery!
To this day I can still feel 28V dc and soon react very fast.
Rob
Old 19th Sep 2018, 12:49 am   #42
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Yes Phil: the things which some of do in the furtherance of our science!

No, but seriously - I felt that it was high time I discovered just how much current actually 'hurt', since we've all had the occasional 'belt' now and again. Prior to my experiment, I did a bit of research on the 'Net: figures there indicted a much higher current than 2 mA before the 'YOW!' threshold was reached - although I do appreciate that that will vary from person to person. I was anticipating a current of about 15 - 20 mA.
And, finally, I take your point about RCD operation. Hopefully, I'll never need to validate your figures involuntarily!

Al.
Old 19th Sep 2018, 12:55 am   #43
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Lamp limiter plus Variac tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinshack View Post

A different test was suggested which she said was not pleasant to patients. She explained it required an acupuncture type needle in my tongue tip and another inserted on top of my foot.
This I agreed to . . .
Good Lord! You're a braver man than I am, Gunga Din!
(With acknowledgements to Rudyard Kipling).

Al.
Old 19th Sep 2018, 1:32 am   #44
radiograham
Hexode

Smile Re: Lamp limiter plus Variac tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd 1985 View Post
Good tip! I always check very carefully before throwing the switch that everything is as it should be, I have an isolating TX in the chain too, which is a good job I do what with some of the lash-ups that I’ve been working on!

My Variac was an uncased one, so I built it into a wooden box with a voltmeter and socket on the front, and I also added fuses to both input and output, I had plenty of panel mount fuse holders so I thought why not!

Regards
Lloyd
Just joking,My favourite technique of switching it on and then poking it with a stick from behind the settee is not recommended then!.
Old 20th Sep 2018, 1:06 pm   #45
hannahs radios
Hexode

Hey Robinshack my doctor wanted me to have a nerve conduction test last year I refused after having seen a video if it on youtube I decided I didn't fancy it one bit. Fortunately no one suggested sticking needles in me. I have no idea what my pain threshold is but at a guess would say its probably a few million. One thing I know for sure a belt from a 400 cycle supply is a lot more painful than straight mains or DC
Old 20th Sep 2018, 3:36 pm   #46
Station X

Back on topic please.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread