UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jul 2019, 4:51 pm   #121
barretter
Heptode

Default Re: Which Scientist on the new £50 Note? (Alan Turing).

...and to the mathematics of biology.
Old 16th Jul 2019, 4:58 pm   #122
barretter
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
While not wanting to disparage Turing, I'm not convinced that the pendulum hasn't swung too far the other way.
Where is this pendulum swinging, and where do you want it to swing back to? I'm sure a large proportion of the population would consider people who try to restore ancient electronic devices a bit odd.
Old 16th Jul 2019, 8:23 pm   #123
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

As the starter of the thread, and someone who said it would be Turing , I'm happy with the outcome. Turing is a worthy "winner", but also, it may be best to see this as recognition of everyone at Bletchley. In a week when Neil Armstrong's voice is heard daily (and I am thrilled about that), it was Neil himself who pointed out that something like 400,000 people worked on the Apollo project. It's just in the way of things that some become famous while others remain obscure.

It's worth pointing out here, that another contender for the £50 note was Rosalind Franklin, and this has been a good year for her also, as the European Space Agency's Mars rover spacecraft has been named for her. As a multi-national project, that is quite a 'coup' and will certainly bring her name to the fore when the mission goes ahead.

B
Old 16th Jul 2019, 8:29 pm   #124
The Philpott
Dekatron

It must have been a perfect storm situation for Turing- the stress of involvement in matters most secret, and the stress of his personal life. There are some parallels with the way Oppenheimer was treated.

Dave
Old 16th Jul 2019, 8:56 pm   #125
paulsherwin

It's certainly a very reasonable outcome, and Turing is as entitled to this honour as any of the other candidates, including Stephen Hawking who was my own prediction. I imagine Turing was a very troubled man despite his undoubted brilliance, hardly surprising given the circumstances of his life.
Closed Thread