UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Nov 2016, 12:20 pm   #1
monaghana
Retired Dormant Member

Default Revox rack mount case

Hi everyone,

I just took delivery of a Revox A77 Dolby tape deck. It all appears to be working fine but sadly it was damaged in transit from Germany and the case is split. When you lift it with the handle it comes apart at the right hand side.

I've agreed a partial refund with the seller, I'm not too bothered how it looks but its a shame because it was in great condition.

I have found a rack mount case for £20 on Ebay which is getting shipped to a local Argos. I plan to remove the transport from the wooden case and place it in the rack mount case.

I can then get a better idea of whether the wooden case is repairable.

My question is 'anything I need to be aware of using the metal case?'

There is no ground connection on the mains so I am assuming it's double insulated.

There is a two pin jumper inside the wooden case, which I'm guessing isolates the power when you remove the case. I've seen one of these on line described as a service plug. I can't see it in the Ebay picture of the rack mount case. It's not in view

Any help/advice appreciated.

Great sound compared to my Akai 1721L but waiting on delivery of Ferrograph Defluxer which might improve things with the Akai.

Alan
Old 25th Nov 2016, 4:26 pm   #2
SteveCG
Nonode

Default Re: Revox rack mount case

Advice - check the state of the 'usual suspects'. These are:

1) That all the preset pots still have their wipers in place. Don't try adjusting them though if they look alright as you will upset the alignments.

2) The yellow clear plastic Rifa capacitors on the motor board. They should not be split open.
Closed Thread