UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Nov 2016, 9:03 pm   #1
Reidar5
Triode

Default Pioneer CT200

Hello,

I just found a Pioneer CT200 cassette deck in a dumpster, and when I turn it on the rec-light is on. When I push any of the buttons (ffw,rw,play), there's no response. The motor's not rotating.

Do you have any suggestions about what to do?

Best regards: Reidar Halvorsen
Old 24th Nov 2016, 10:05 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Pioneer CT200

Hello again,

If the motor's not rotating, you need to check whether it's getting power supplied to it or not.

Have you got a multimeter?

N.
Old 25th Nov 2016, 6:51 am   #3
tri-comp
Heptode

Default Re: Pioneer CT200

Oh, I always liked these decks.
They look real nice with big VU-Meters and I LOVE the >>Klonk<< sound when the solenoid-plungers are engaged.
Sets the whole chassis vibrating

There is, however a problem with these models.
The deck is solenoid-operated power supplied from the always spinning motor.
Since it was produced around 1980 there's not much hope for the motor still working normally.
As the motor is always turning when the set is on, regardless of tape travel or not, it's most likely worn-out.
I believe I started replacing these motors already in the early 90'ies !
The original Motor is P/N: RXM-076 replaceable by (VERY expensive) REA-1179.
Mabuchi makes a suitable drop-in replacement 12V CCW motor with P/N: EG-530AD-2B that can be had for a song and a dance from eBay.
Obviously check the fuses first of all.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EG-530AD-2B.pdf (637.3 KB, 204 views)
Closed Thread