UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Nov 2016, 4:03 pm   #1
sennsai
Tetrode

Default Philips N4520 tape transport problem

The problem is that all functions work but only when the button is held down, as soon as released it goes into stop mode. The electronic counter is working ok, so is the solenoid.

The manual is in German (PDF),100 pages long but only a few pages are relevant, ie p61, 62. Unfortunately no working voltages are given apart from supply. The solenoid connection points are 34-37.

http://elektrotanya.com/philips_n452.../download.html

So, something is triggering the safety-stop function but recorder switching circuits are complex!
Old 21st Nov 2016, 3:17 pm   #2
jamesperrett
Octode

Default Re: Philips N4520 tape transport problem

Are you sure the tape is threaded correctly? This behaviour is common if the machine thinks there is no tape loaded.
Old 21st Nov 2016, 7:05 pm   #3
sennsai
Tetrode

Yes, I'll check again according to the users guide. It plays ok via the 'phones but play button needs to be held down. Tape tension seems normal, could be a missing or incorrect signal from the RH tension roller which operates the shut-off. There is no optical system on this machine although the RH guide and its adjacent one cause shut off with contact with foil tape .
Old 22nd Nov 2016, 9:36 pm   #4
Jimmyhaflinger
Heptode

That could also be due to a faulty stop button (sticking, shorted or leaky)

Seen this more than once in smokers tellies
Old 23rd Nov 2016, 11:30 pm   #5
sennsai
Tetrode

Yes, good point, I've investigated that but I've found that the STOP button is not connected to anything as far as I can see, this is confirmed on the diagram of the button bank (P 97) next to the PLAY button SK 204. So, where's the STOP button!
Old 24th Nov 2016, 4:17 am   #6
julie_m
Dekatron

If the transport controls are mechanically interlocked, there may well be no contacts associated with the STOP button; this will be obvious from all the other switches in the interlocked set being in their default positions.
Old 24th Nov 2016, 5:13 pm   #7
Jimmyhaflinger
Heptode

maybe the mechanical interlock has failed and is no longing holding down the buttons?
Old 24th Nov 2016, 8:41 pm   #8
sennsai
Tetrode

No, the tape travel controls are the "tip-touch" type, it is electronic logic control, solenoid operated.

The STOP button is the one at the far right, unconnected. The photo of the panel is when off the machine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panel.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	133336   Click image for larger version

Name:	front panel.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	133337   Click image for larger version

Name:	stop switch.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	133338  
Old 24th Nov 2016, 10:17 pm   #9
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I may be missing something, but if the stop button has no electrical connections, and thus no electrical function, I think it must have a mechanical function (for example to release an interlock). Or it would do nothing at all.
Old 24th Nov 2016, 10:57 pm   #10
julie_m
Dekatron

Sorry, but if the STOP button operates a dummy switch with no contacts, then there must be some sort of mechanical interlock between them. Otherwise, there is no way for the machine to know when it is in STOP.

Those switches look like a kind that were very common in 1970s and 80s audio equipment. The sort of switches I think they are, are modular; available with up to 6 changeover contacts, either PCB pins or solder tags (for use with the switches mounted on a special frame); and can be used in multiple modes. To use them in "push-push" mode, a U-shaped piece of wire is inserted between a slot and a hole, so it rides in a specially-shaped groove in the spring-loaded plunger. The groove directs the bent wire across and backwards as the plunger is pressed in, and it catches into one of two stable positions. To use in "push/release" mode, the wire is removed so the plunger is always pushed out by the spring as soon as the button is let go. And to interlock several switches, the U-links are removed and a metal strip with pins is placed across all the plungers, so one pin rides in each groove. When any one switch is pushed in, it latches in and all the others are released. The dummy switch has two grooves in its plunger; one just like the real switches, so it stays in when pushed in, and one without the catch points, so it always releases leaving no button pushed in. It can simply be inverted to select the desired behaviour.

If one switch had the groove worn out, it would fail to latch but all the others would still latch correctly. It's unlikely for them all to have failed; more probably, something is fouling the interlocking bar, or it has moved out of position.
Old 25th Nov 2016, 11:21 pm   #11
sennsai
Tetrode

You are all correct - now I've exposed the switches, you can see an interlocking bar in the channel, a spring is adjacent to the STOP switch. however, depressing any of the 5 buttons does not move the bar, so I presume this needs to be investigated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC09514.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	133403   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	133404  
Old 25th Nov 2016, 11:59 pm   #12
sennsai
Tetrode

After a bit of fiddling, and re-setting the associated solenoid extension bar which also controls the latch-bar, the switches are now clicking in positively.

Initially, as I was unfamiliar with these switches, I thought that the light touch of them (in the fault state) was normal. just need to re-assemble and test.
Old 26th Nov 2016, 10:57 pm   #13
julie_m
Dekatron

Nice one I can't see the release solenoid in your pictures (which are otherwise pretty much classic examples of that sort of modular switch system); but it almost certainly works just by displacing the latching bar, so popping out any of the switches, when energised. It's a useful intermediate position between fully mechanical operation (where the controls physically move the idler into contact with the supply and take-up reel tables) and fully electronic operation (using flip-flops for the latching function and solenoids to engage the mechanism).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennsai View Post
Initially, as I was unfamiliar with these switches, I thought that the light touch of them (in the fault state) was normal.
That's the other nice thing about this sort of switch; the action does not become any heavier just because you add more switches to the interlocking set. (If it does, by the way, that's a sign of severe wear.)
Old 4th Dec 2016, 11:03 am   #14
sennsai
Tetrode

Hers a pic of the solenoid, also the recorder.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC09508.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	133789   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09522.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	133790  
Closed Thread