UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Nov 2016, 5:20 pm   #21
untune87
Pentode

Default Re: Ferrograph 633 Problem

Hi Peter, thanks for your reply

It's difficult to tell if this is an old bodged repair or not (I don't have contact info for the original owner so probably can't find out now) and hence it might have just gradually got worse and given out...

So with a lower resistance the solenoid should actually have a stronger hold? Which would point to a power supply issue, or could it be that the further the drift from the value it is designed for (ie 100 ohm) the less efficient it becomes?

Forgive me, I don't really know much about solenoids
Old 25th Nov 2016, 6:59 pm   #22
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferrograph 633 Problem

If we assume for the moment that the HT is low, then a lower value of resistor would increase the available voltage across the solenoid and hence the current through it, assuming of course that the lower-resistance path doesn't drag the HT down even further...I think it's a case of sort out the HT before looking elsewhere. The two resistors are of different size and manufacture, so prima facie this is a get-you going bodge.
Closed Thread