UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Oct 2012, 12:00 am   #1
kriskarmann
Retired Dormant Member

Default AD65 and A22 dials wanted.

Hi,

Is there anyone who can make me a reproduction dial for a brown AD65 that is close to the original?
Looking also for a dial for my brown A22.

Is there also speaker cloth available for the brown A22?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Kris
Old 1st Dec 2012, 10:29 pm   #2
Ben_Dijkman
Pentode

Default Re: AD65 and A22 dials wanted.

Hello.

Sure I can make these dials.

Only thing I need is an example and 15 buyers for this dial to make nice-price dials. A major problem for me is that everybody just wants one dial. One dial with 100% original quality is far to expensive to produce.

With 15 buyers I can realise perfect quallity for good price, so my advice is: Stick together and ask me to produce a batch of good quality dials.
Old 4th Dec 2012, 8:17 pm   #3
dakster
Tetrode

I would buy one dial each for a brown, and a black AD65 if were faithful to the original.
Old 5th Dec 2012, 9:55 pm   #4
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Dijkman View Post
Hello.

Sure I can make these dials.
The originals are cellulose. What material would you use?
Old 5th Dec 2012, 10:11 pm   #5

Somewhere here I posted the artwork for an A22 dial, get it printed on A3 grainless paper and sandwitch between bits of thin (1mm or so) acrylic. Looks fine to me.

Old 6th Dec 2012, 10:15 am   #6
Panrock
Nonode

Have you any tips on how to cut the acrylic without the risk of crazing?

A method I have used is to laminate and cut out the printed A3 grainless sheet and then back it up with the original (previously damaged) dial, now transparent with its markings removed.

Steve
Old 6th Dec 2012, 11:12 am   #7
Panrock
Nonode

In case eyebrows are now being raised, I should add that the laminated surface was bonded to the backer using a thin coating of Scotch spray adhesive, making the end result convincing. Also, the original dial (used as the backer) had large areas of print missing, having been previously attacked by someone with paint stripper. It was of no historical interest.

Steve
Old 6th Dec 2012, 10:36 pm   #8
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

I'd consider buying a reproduction A22 dial if it was no more than about £25.

There are a couple of variants I believe, so before Ben started, we'd have to argue which one to have made!

Surely it's worth Ben making 15, even if he only sold seven immediately. A friend and I had 35 DAC90A glass dials made by a screen printer in 2001. We only had immediate sales for five, but over a period of 18 months we sold the lot for £15 each. I know the DAC90A is probably the most popular set you could make dials for, but we could easily have sold nearly twice as many - especially if we'd made more effort to advertise them.

All the DAC90A dials are now long gone...

Regards,

Ian
Closed Thread