UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2017, 9:49 am   #1
bendeneo
Diode

Default Serenade Stereosound 3 speed - advice on servicing

Hi all,

Total newbie, so apologies for anything stupid I might say.

I have bought a Serenade Stereosound 3 speed, with the 5 record autostack.

The seller said that there was crackling on one of the speakers, but other than that all working fine, so I thought I would take a punt and see if I can fix it up.

My thoughts are that it could just be bad connections within the speakers, or perhaps back at the actual player unit, either way I am happy to have a look and solder, replace where necessary (within reason of course)!

However, I figured that whilst I am at it, then perhaps I should do some basic servicing, and perhaps buy a new stylus/cartridge at the same time, or am I over egging things at this point and should just see what the crackling is? Or could the crackling be caused by the stylus/cartridge?

Sorry for the lack of knowledge, and thanks for any tips in advance.

Regards.
Old 23rd May 2017, 10:31 am   #2
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Serenade Stereosound 3 speed - advice on servicing

Hi and welcome to the Forum. If you are keen to get into vintage technology [particularly record players] as so many people are these days, you might want to look at the stickies in this section-particularly "Reviving Your Record Player" which is very detailed and helpful.

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=75401

I don't know anything about the item you mention but I'm sure others will help. The fact that you are even aware of the terms "Stylus" and "Cartridge" already puts you ahead of some new members these days so it's a good start. Overall the advice always includes read up and procede methodically as doing things at random is unlikely to work. Good luck with your endeavours!

Dave W

Last edited by Station X; 23rd May 2017 at 10:39 am. Reason: Link added.
Old 23rd May 2017, 10:58 am   #3
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hello,

If the maker's name is "Stereosound" and the model name is "Serenade", then it was almost certainly made by:

Stereosound Productions Ltd, Capital Works, 12-14 Wakefield Road, Brighouse, Yorks.

They introduced the name “Stereosound” in 1958, for their audio equipment.

Dazzlevision
Old 23rd May 2017, 11:18 am   #4
Audio1950
Dekatron

Firstly, I'd get a can of Servisol contact cleaner (Maplins?) and with the unit unplugged, squirt some into the volume and/or balance controls. There should be a hole in the body of the controls, which is where you squirt it into. Work the control backwards and forwards a dozen or so times, leave it for a few minutes, and it may just cure the crackling. If it doesn't, you will at least have cleaned the controls.
Old 23rd May 2017, 1:12 pm   #5
bendeneo
Diode

Thanks guys!

Dave - cheers for the link
Dazzlevision - thanks for the info, that will help
Audio1950 - thanks for the tip.... fingers crossed

I'll start looking into stuff, and also getting some of the Servisol as it sounds handy to have around!
Old 23rd May 2017, 1:55 pm   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I would not worry about replacing the cartridge (£38.00) at this stage. Whilst you say the speaker is crackly - is it still producing good sound? If there is no sound at all, just crackles, it could be a faulty balance control, poor stereo cartridge connection/s or, worst of all, that amplifying channel has failed. Speakers rarely fail. Let us know how you get on.
Old 2nd Aug 2017, 1:34 pm   #7
bendeneo
Diode

Hello again all,

So the servisol worked, but only to an extent..... but certainly good enough for what I need.... there is still a bit of a crackle when adjusting the volume, but once you find the volume you want and give it a wiggle its fine to be honest.

However, what I want to do is connect it to an amplifier so that I can set the volume using the amplifier..... one which of course has Phone input, but I shouldnt actually need that because I am under the impression that as I have speakers with this unit, it has a pre-amp inside already to boost it.

The issue I am faced with is that there are no external connections for this unit other than the speaker cables....

Could I simply connect the speaker cables to some RCA adapters from Maplin (or similar) and then plug into the amplifier in that fashion?

Or am I being too simplistic?

Regards,

Ben
Old 2nd Aug 2017, 2:17 pm   #8
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

You cannot connect outputs designed for speakers into the phono (RCA) inputs of another amplifier, which are at so-called 'line level'. The question is why would you want to do that anyway. Your Stereosound unit is only intended to drive loudspeakers.
Old 2nd Aug 2017, 2:31 pm   #9
bendeneo
Diode

Hi LIVEWIRE?,

The reason I want to connect it to an Amp is because I don't want to have separate speakers for my Stereosound, my NAD tape player, and my old CD player. I would like one pair that can be driven by either.

As the unit currently drives its own speakers, I am guessing that I don't need to use the Phone inputs, and can simply use Aux and as the unit has a pretty decent sound volume output I figured it might get close to 'line level'?

If not I see you can buy a 'speaker to line level converter'?
Old 2nd Aug 2017, 5:09 pm   #10
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I didn't know that a 'speaker to line level' unit was available, but if so, that might be the way to go. This would mean that the volume from your 'Stereosound' player would be dependant upon the setting of it's volume control, and the tone would also be governed by the setting of the Bass & Treble controls. This, I guess, would be preferable to using seperate speakers for each amplifier.
Old 2nd Aug 2017, 5:54 pm   #11
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I think you will be dissappointed with the results if you try this. Connecting your speakers into the Line-In sockets of your stereo amplfier will produce an impedence mismatch and it will be very difficult to control the volume, bass and treble so as to avoid overloading/distortion. These units are simply not designed to work properly that way - although you may get some kind of sound of sorts.
Old 2nd Aug 2017, 8:17 pm   #12
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Advertised on eBay (may also be available from other sources) is a 'Speaker to RCA(Line Level) adaptor', which is made for this purpose. My guess is that this device includes low-value resistors from each i/p to ground in order to present the correct load to the amplifier's low-Z o/ps, followed by a divider network to reduce the amplitude of the signal to a low level, (higher Z) one to match the line input of the added amplifier. IIRC, similar units used to be made to allow car stereos which only had speaker level o/ps to be connected to 'Booster' amplifiers, when these first appeared in the late 80s or thereabouts. Some Boosters used to have low to High Z circuits built-in. These units allowed decent quality sound to be produced by the added amplifier.
Old 2nd Aug 2017, 9:35 pm   #13
AndiiT
Octode

Hi, if the unit has a socket fitted (often a 5 pin DIN type) for connection to a tape recorder you may be able to use this to connect it to the line level sockets of your amplifier, although the results may vary due to impedance mismatching.

If you really want to go down the "speaker to line level" route there is a suitable circuit here

As others have mentioned the volume and tone controls on your Stereosound unit will affect the overall sound quality if connecting to your amplifier via the speaker outlets.

Regards

Andrew
Old 2nd Aug 2017, 9:52 pm   #14
unitaudio
Heptode

Is there a headphone socket on the Stereosound unit? That would work connected to a line level input on your amplifier. Suitable stereo jackplug to phono plug adapter cables are available.

Regards,
Paul
Old 2nd Aug 2017, 9:59 pm   #15
Clydeuk
Hexode

When I was a teenager, I connected the speaker outputs of a Ferguson music centre to the Aux inputs of a Technics amplifier. The music centre volume control I set very low. At the time I was pleased with the results. I appreciate now that it's not good practice, but at the time I knew no better, and it served my needs well.

If your Stereosound unit has a Tape output (possibly a 5 pin DIN) then that could be used to connect to an amplifier's Aux or other line level input.
Closed Thread