UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th May 2017, 8:14 am   #1
Arqiva BOC
Retired Dormant Member

Default Radio 4extra programme 'Dream On' - 1950s DIY

Not sure exactly where to put this! Not strictly vintage radio, but very much related,

BBC Radio 4 Extra programme 'Dream On', today at 06:30, and repeated again later in day, discussing the 1950s trend in home DIY, with particular reference to the late great Fred Camm and his 'Practical' series of magazines.

Quite interesting look at attitudes and ideas of the time. Don't let the fact its presented by Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen put you off!
Old 10th May 2017, 8:31 am   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Radio 4extra programme 'Dream On' - 1950s DIY

Thanks.

Available on iPlayer too: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0076k0d

Nick.
Old 10th May 2017, 1:56 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Just had a listen. It's actually a repeat of a 2004 programme, but it was new to me.

Great fun and very evocative of the post-war optimism of the 50s.

Thanks for highlighting it.
Old 10th May 2017, 8:49 pm   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Enjoyed listening to the programme - I could have been part of the cast!

As well as Practical Householder, there was 'DIY Magazine'. Don't know when they stopped publishing them.

We bought our first house in 1961 - a pre-war semi. At the time, 'flush doors' and 'boxed in' balustrades were all the rage. Looking back I'm horrified that I took all the lovely hemlock panelled doors off one at a time, slapped hardboard on them to convert them to 'flush doors', removed and discarded the lovely late 1930s Bakelite knobs, and replaced them with 'contemporary' plastic handles. Not content with that, I then 'boxed in' the shapely hemlock stair spindles, painted all the doors and the boxed-in stairs in bright yellow gloss (contemporary'!). I was very proud of my handiwork, which was well up to speed 'on trend' and much admired by visitors.

How times change.

Though I didn't know it at the time, I was very lucky - I had a splendid seven-year apprenticeship with the then 'Gas Board' which encompassed gas-fitting, plumbing, electrical work, bricklaying, plastering, glazing, carpentry, brazing, welding, forge work, lead flashing and roof work. Anyone who has served an 'old fashioned' apprenticeship in any trade will know that above all, from day one, pride in your work was drilled into you. 'Good enough is not good enough', 'OK is not OK' and you inspect your own work.

As a consequence of the skills that I learnt, having lived in five houses in the last 56 years, I've never had to call anyone in for anything apart from repairing the washing machine under its ten-yr warranty. I have, however, conceded that with the passing of the years, when it comes to roof work, I should act my age - not my shoe size, so I've got rid of my roof crawler. I was ordered down off the roof of my younger son's house by my daughter-in-law in no uncertain manner. It's rather nice to have lived long enough to have become a problem to my kids! I guess I've been 'grounded'.

Apart from decorating, DIY is very much in decline to those who don't have a trade. You only have to look at how B&Q have expanded their Trade Section.

'DIY' has been supplanted by 'GSI' - 'get someone in'.
Old 10th May 2017, 9:37 pm   #5
MrBungle
Dekatron

Glad to hear of people living like that. It does annoy me when people get the plumber in for a tap washer. You do have to be careful though. If anyone asks, you have to tell them you got someone in otherwise you'll be invited over for dinner and offered a job you don't want and don't have the time for.

An interesting programme by the sounds. I will look for that later.
Old 10th May 2017, 11:50 pm   #6
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
At the time, 'flush doors' and 'boxed in' balustrades were all the rage. Looking back I'm horrified that I took all the lovely hemlock panelled doors off one at a time, slapped hardboard on them to convert them to 'flush doors', removed and discarded the lovely late 1930s Bakelite knobs, and replaced them with 'contemporary' plastic handles.
My Father did the same, Barry Bucknell has a lot to answer for!
Old 11th May 2017, 9:16 am   #7
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I also listened to that programme with interest. Neither I nor my father would ever have thought of building our own bungalow or house, but it shows what can be achieved by anyone determined to try.
Closed Thread