UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 17th Mar 2017, 5:27 pm   #1
ChristianFletcher
Heptode

Default Bang and Olufsen MCP5500 - Repair Youtube link

Hi All
I thought some people who like me now spend more time watching other people doing radio repairs on YouTube than actually repairing their own gear may be interested in see me repairing a Bang and Olufsen remote control unit. This is a MCP5500 around the 1986 vintage and it is interesting in that the communication between the HiFi and the remote is two way. Its monitors the volume audio channel status etc of the HiFi and displays these on the remote-control unit.

I don’t know if this type of two-way communication has been before on other remote controls but not something I had ever seen.
Note sure how many other people on here are filming their restoration but I have found that Youtube to be entertain and has some useful learning opportunities.
Best Regards Chris

Part 1:
https://youtu.be/yuTILt4X8iE
Part 2:
https://youtu.be/CGSMVxdyTRQ
Old 17th Mar 2017, 5:49 pm   #2
PJL
Dekatron

Default Re: Bang and Olufsen MCP5500 - Repair Youtube link

Did it work? Great video and I love your commentary. You should take it up professionally.
Old 17th Mar 2017, 7:15 pm   #3
ChristianFletcher
Heptode

Hi Phil

My friend Richard tested it last night and says it works perfectly. So that's a big relief. Although I did not show it on the video I also swapped out the other electrolytic capacitors and reapplied some conformal coating.

I also had to put a few more patch cables in for the bad tracks. My success rate for repairing modern stuff is not good but this was a relatively simple circuit, very well laid out and I had a circuit diagram.

I have become Quite a fan of B&O in the last few weeks and think I will have add some to my growing collection.

Regards Chris
Old 17th Mar 2017, 8:49 pm   #4
ChristianFletcher
Heptode

Hi Phil

My friend Richard tested it last night and says it works perfectly. So that's a big relief. Although I did not show it on the video I also swapped out the other electrolytic capacitors and reapplied some conformal coating.

I also had to put a few more patch cables in for the bad tracks. My success rate for repairing modern stuff is not good but this was a relatively simple circuit, very well laid out and I had a circuit diagram.

I have become Quite a fan of B&O in the last few weeks and think I will have add some to my growing collection.

Regards Chris
Old 18th Mar 2017, 11:03 pm   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I loved your videos Chris. If you are not a media professional you certainly could be [oh I see you are not] and the voice over is highly amusing The repair was interesting but [for me] the content was less gripping than the production. I have an 8800 television passed on to me by Studio 235 and the remote also appears to have been fashioned from cast iron. Your friend was unlucky to damage his unit but probaly fortunate to keep it off his foot. The TV I was given is amazing for a 1980 product. Tim is the "go to" person re B+O and has his own web site. He seems to just take the most complex repairs in his stride. Great bloke, check out his postings.

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 18th Mar 2017 at 11:09 pm.
Old 19th Mar 2017, 1:02 am   #6
ChristianFletcher
Heptode

Smile Re: Bang and Olufsen MCP5500 - Repair Youtube link

Hi Dave

Thanks for you kind words. I quite enjoying making these little videos it's funny how you loose IT skills if you don't try and get involved with new media etc. There's been a lot of head scratching tying to figure out how to work the camera, setting up microphones, editting the movies and finally upload them. These are skill that every 10 year old has but it's been a challenge for me.

I would think most of my repairs will be quite low tech as I'm only a dabbler have far to many interests to gain any real proficient in any thing. I really admire the bare bones restoration that have been published On this forum by people with great skill and patience. I'm always amazed at the vast depth of knowledge many people have hear on the forum and there willingness to share.

I will definitely find out more about Tims B+O stuff. They have a really interesting design philosophy both form and function. I will hope to lay my hands on some equipment of my own in the near future.

Anyway busy playing with a 8 track player at the moment another first for me and loving the learning experience. So should have another video ready soon. No doubt I will be on hear again wanting advice on the next repair. And as the name suggests I have all the gear and know idea.

Regards Chris

Last edited by ChristianFletcher; 19th Mar 2017 at 1:08 am.
Old 19th Mar 2017, 1:08 am   #7
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Hi Chris,
Good video's! Good to see that you managed to revive it too. I have the version before this one, the MCP 5000, and the Hi-Fi to go with it too! When I got mine it had also had leaky batteries in it, but luckily it hadn't eaten the PCB, mostly just ruined the paintwork under the metal flap.

Just in case you were wondering, the PCB's for the keypad's come out easily, and the actual clicky-switch bits are held on the PCB with a sheet of black self adhesive stuff. Where the battery goo had got on mine it had turned the black sticky tape white!

Here's a photo of it, note the 5000 doesn't have the nice encoder-dial for the volume, just has buttons instead, but it makes up for it with all the LED displays!

regards,
Lloyd.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2550.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	139463  
Old 19th Mar 2017, 7:53 am   #8
ChristianFletcher
Heptode

Thanks Loyd.

Thanks for the update on the keyboard that's useful to know. From my previous research the MCP5000 circuit architecture is very different and in Many is more complicated. I think it uses a 8051 which was my first ever microcontroller that I used. I seem to think it does something funky with what looks like the keyboard col and row driving through a separate ROM. I couldn't quite figure out what this was doing ?

When loaded with the batteries a real heavy lump

Chris
Old 20th Mar 2017, 5:07 pm   #9
toshiba tony
Heptode

Don't know what date it is but you ask about bi-communication between the unit and the remote. I have a Sony 300 disk player and that relay's track length and track number to the remote. If it's a text cd it also transmits that. Old hat now though, idea's like that.
Closed Thread