UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Mar 2021, 3:47 pm   #1
sparkymike
Octode

Default Columbia Model 211Z windup gramophone

What is the correct setting for the govenor on the Columbia windup gramophone
motor.?
The govenor spindle is held in two floating brass sleeves at each end which are adjustable and I would like to know if possible the setting for these bushes.
Mike.
Old 1st Mar 2021, 7:53 pm   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: Columbia Model 211Z windup gramophone

The best way to do this is to dismantle the motor, take out the spring drum, and reassemble the motor. All the gears will then be free to revolve without any pressure from the spring on them. It is essential that the holes in the brass sleeves are in identical positions, so start with the one nearest the worm gear, putting it so that the worm gear engages with the cog of the turntable spindle. Insert the other brass sleeve, with it's hole in exactly the same position as the other one. Tighten the screws on both, then spin the turntable spindle with your fingers. It should turn freely, but make sure that the worm gear on the governor is definitely well engaged with the cog on the turntable spindle. If turning the spindle is at all stiff, turn both brass sleeves to bring the worm gear away from the cog a tiny amount, making sure that both are in identical positions, so that the governor assembly is perfectly aligned in both directions, (up and down, in and out). When this done, replace the spring drum, and very gently wind a few times, just to ensure the gears are fully engaged.

Barry

Last edited by Audio1950; 1st Mar 2021 at 7:58 pm.
Old 2nd Mar 2021, 3:17 pm   #3
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio1950 View Post
It is essential that the holes in the brass sleeves are in identical positions
If the brass bearings don't have off-centre holes (some don't) then it's a simple case of moving both bearings back and forth until the gears run smoothly. There should be about a millimetre of side play when the governors are in their final position.

Barry
Old 2nd Mar 2021, 9:36 pm   #4
sparkymike
Octode

Hi Barry photo now enclosed to show the govenor. The brass end bearings (arrowed) are not the off-centred type. With the mainspring drum removed, the govenor spndle etc. revolves quite freely. When I took it apart, that shaft was on the tight side. Now just a touch of end float.
I was hoping someone could give me a distance from the rotating brass disc to a datum point in the movement, so I can avoid any chatter in the govenor.
Mike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2197.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	228113  
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 12:03 pm   #5
Audio1950
Dekatron

Check the brass bearing on the left of your photo. There should be a scribed ring on it, which is the location for the holding screw. Once the screw is fixed at that point, then everything is automatically in place as per the factory setting.

Barry
Old 4th Mar 2021, 8:48 am   #6
sparkymike
Octode

Thanks barry,
will check when I have a few minutes.
Nice and easy one to take apart. Not like a lot of modern items.
I need to repair the winder handle so will have to turn up a new knob on the lathe. At first when I got it,the winder would not fit in the movement but when I took the lot out of the cabinet, there was one spacer washer missing from one of the motor posts,but once I replaced that, no problem.
Mike.
Closed Thread