UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Feb 2016, 1:24 pm   #61
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Operator, Wireless and Line

Changing aerial lengths for day and night use sounds very plausible since the optimum frequencies for day and night operation can be quite different.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 4th Feb 2016, 7:19 pm   #62
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Propagation at night is a different thing altogether than day.Hence alot of dxing(long distance reception) is done at night.
Old 19th Feb 2016, 9:08 pm   #63
greenstar
Octode

I'm in a bit of a quandry now, as my mum has become anxious about my sharing her experiences. I had tried to tell her I was using a forum, but not managed to convey what one is. She has started to say she wishes she hadn't told me, so will have to leave it as it is. I have plenty to work with. I have had a tape I made with her 30 yrs ago digitised, and on hearing it again was encouraged to hear that there is a lot more detail, although more social than technical. She has also, bless her, now lent me a diary for 1944, which details some of her time in Shrewsbury and Kent. I will scan this. She tells me she threw away several as they were in pencil and hard to read. I have requested her service record to clarify the sequence of events, but it looks as though she mis-remembered her service number, so not sure if this will arrive. I emphasised that there is no longer a security issue, but her reservations are more because it is her personal experience.
So I will continue expanding the account incorporating the new material, but am not sure what to do with it or the recording without her permission. Even if I just pass it on to the family it will be worth the effort.
Old 22nd Feb 2016, 8:15 pm   #64
greenstar
Octode

Mulling this over, I think there is no harm in my adding purely technical details as they come up. I really appreciate the input people have made here, as throughout the forum - a fantastic community.
it is clear now that she used the Canadian 9 throughout, even in Kent where she had only mentioned the Fullerphone. They were required to maintain radio silence during the Normandy invasion, and had a listening brief, while also being busy with line messaging around everything from troop movements to compassionate leave - these were not coded.
They also saw a film in Shrewsbury (early 44) on the 22 set, which was said to be replacing the '9', despite being shorter range. This does not seem to have happened.
Old 23rd Feb 2016, 1:58 am   #65
Radio Wrangler

If it's any comfort to your mother, there are a lot of people who, although born after the war, have a fair understanding of what was at stake, and have great appreciation of ALL those who got the country through it.

David
Old 23rd Feb 2016, 5:51 pm   #66
greenstar
Octode

David, I appreciate this. I've noted before that what my mum finds hurtful is that there has never, even now it seems, been any official recognition of what she personally did. They were expected to forget all about it, and boy, officialdom seem to have totally forgotten about them. Forgetting isn't the word - more like deliberate amnesia, as though they did something shameful. She does have some interest in what she did and a certain amount of pride. My dad got all sorts of medals just for being in places like Algeria - which he wasn't really bothered about, but he too was proud of what he did (RAF fitter).
I suppose it would cost too much now for any kind of acknowledgment, so they will just fade out of history.
Old 25th Feb 2016, 12:45 pm   #67
greenstar
Octode

I'd like to share a couple of entries that may elicit some information.
26th June 1944
"Picked up a German R/T station with a peculiar call sign. It was this, over and over (see below)".
3rd July "Off this morning. Lecture on 'Slidex' (Code on R/T), Duty till 8".
Does this ring any bells for code experts? (Have found info on this http://chris-intel-corner.blogspot.c...idex-code.html).
And:
19th July "Back on night duty to find the wireless set had opened. We've got a new Canadian 9, and it's lovely, all shining grey, with a loudspeaker and large earphones that shut out all external noises, but Golly, I didn't have a wink of sleep all night".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown station.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	120631  
Old 25th Feb 2016, 5:14 pm   #68
M0SOE_Bruce
Pentode

There's a bit of info on slidex on the web. I have a kit with 6 cards from various branches of the army. This was a low level code that the Germans found easy to break. It was good for short term traffic.

I think it was replaced by BATCO in later years.

The #9 set is a big beast.
Old 26th Feb 2016, 1:11 am   #69
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Wednesday nights 24 Hours In A+E on CH4 featured a lady who had been in Shetland transcribing morse which I think would be Bletchley related.
Thursday night on BBC4 included P4 of the Time Watch WW2 Guide which showed Bletchley U Boat interception with an AR88 in view!
Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 26th Feb 2016 at 1:16 am.
Old 26th Feb 2016, 1:02 pm   #70
m0cemdave
Octode

That musical callsign was used as an interval signal by a broadcaster in the 1960's/70's.
I can't remember which one though.
Old 31st Dec 2021, 12:27 pm   #71
paulsherwin

Thread reopened by request.
Old 31st Dec 2021, 12:56 pm   #72
greenstar
Octode

Thank you Paul.
My mother, Joyce Mitchell nee Monks very sadly passed away in September, after a long struggle with dementia, through which she showed the same courage she evidenced all her life.
I have a free hand with her material.
There is very little written material I can find on the broader context of her wartime service. I am thinking of submitting a summary as an article for the BVWS bulletin. That would be based on her experiences as told to me personally, and on her surviving diary, rather than an attempt to make sense of it from researching the network she was involved in, but if anybody knows of material relating to the 'OWLS' that would shed more light, I would be appreciative. There is near vacuum, a couple of mentions on the net, but not much. There did appear to be a network, around which she took postings, but she never referred to or I think knew about Bletchley Park, or Y intercept Beaumanor Hall, for example, so I think it was quite distinct. She sent and received in code - possibly simply general Army communications, but then why the obscurity?
Thanks all, and a HAPPY 2022!
Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MumThornbySeptember21.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	248662  
Old 31st Dec 2021, 1:12 pm   #73
paulsherwin

Sorry to hear of your mother's death. There are very few of that generation left now.

Everyone involved in WW2 signals and intelligence work had it drummed into them that they were never to discuss their work with anyone, even their nearest and dearest, and this continued once the war ended. I was surprised to learn in the late 70s that my postgraduate supervisor had spent the war years as a senior cryptographer at Bletchley - she never referred to it, or discussed anything specific.

Good luck with your efforts. One thing I would suggest is that you scan your mother's diaries and notes, and store them on the net somewhere. This will preserve them for future generations of researchers, even if the originals are lost.
Old 31st Dec 2021, 1:32 pm   #74
greenstar
Octode

Yes, you are right, Paul, my mum referred very little to her wartime work, and mostly wanted to keep any discussion between ourselves. I have one diary 1944-5 and have scanned it. She told me latterly she had disposed of others because they were hard to read.
Old 31st Dec 2021, 2:52 pm   #75
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Just a point, did your late mother ever sell a Morse key on ebay a few years ago?

I bought one that had a story behind it, though limited what was revealed.
Old 31st Dec 2021, 3:07 pm   #76
greenstar
Octode

Hamish, no, but thanks, it won't have been my mum's. She never kept any souvenirs. After the war she did emergency teacher training, and never sent morse again, although she remembered it all her life.
Old 31st Dec 2021, 5:57 pm   #77
Stockden
Heptode

Tony,

I have access to a couple of the official history books, which will shed some light on the OWL trade make up, but may not add much to your mother’s particular story. Unfortunately I’m hospitalised with covid pneumonia at the moment so it’ll probably be a week or 2 before I can do anything about it. I’ll be in touch when I can.

Hugh
Old 31st Dec 2021, 10:27 pm   #78
greenstar
Octode

Hugh, that would be most helpful, and thanks for the response in the circumstances. I hope you get out soon and well.
Tony
Old 30th Jan 2022, 6:51 pm   #79
Stockden
Heptode

Having recovered from the Lurgi I've now had a chance to dig through the books I mentioned and have scanned the pages that I think are relevant. The books are:

The History of British Army Signals in the Second World War - Published by the Royal Signals Institution in 1953 ("BAS" in the attachment file names)

and

The volume on "Signal Communications" from the official history of "The Second World War 1935-1945" - Published by The War Office in 1950 ("OH" in the attachment file names)

Unfortunately there isn't much on the Operator Wireless and Line (except how it fits with the other Royal Signals trades of the time) though there is rather more on the employment of women (ATS). I wouldn't read anything into the absence of information on the OWL. It was, after all, one of the larger (if not the largest) trades and continued into at least the 1950s and possible beyond (there were some former OWLs still serving when I was in Catterick in the early 80s).

If you haven't already seen them there's John Russell's story of his OWL training on the BBC "People's War" site here and a copy of "Trade Training Notes, Part 18, Notes for Operators Wireless and Line, c. 1948" on the Wireless Set No.19 group's web site here.

I hope that sheds a little light on you mum's wartime career. I'm sorry that there isn't more but I'll have another dig through those books and post anything that I think might help.

Hugh
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trades 1 BAS.pdf (34.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: pdf Trades 2 OH.pdf (76.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: pdf ATS 1 OH.pdf (77.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: pdf ATS 2 BAS.pdf (214.9 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Stockden; 30th Jan 2022 at 6:52 pm. Reason: Typo removal
Old 30th Jan 2022, 8:05 pm   #80
greenstar
Octode

Hugh, many thanks for these extracts. They do give some useful background.

Tony
Closed Thread