UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jul 2014, 6:01 pm   #1
Andy - G8MNM
Hexode

Default Amateur Licence.

Hi,

I now have my full amateur licence after applying for it with OFCOM.
Originally I applied for my licence after passing my RAE in around 1973.
As i didn't like Morse Code I never took the Morse test and was therefore restricted to 2M and above.
Many years later when the authorities have declared Morse Code dead and buried I was able to aply for a ful licence.
I now have that and also my original call sign - G8MNM.

I am now wondering what gear to get?
Something full of valves would seem the ticket!
Memories of a WWII 19 set with it's 807 glowing blue!

Anyone have any suggestions?

Regards

Andy

https://www.lushanda.com/
Old 3rd Jul 2014, 6:11 pm   #2
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Amateur Licence.

One word of caution, I have heard that they are changing the rules so that you will only be allowed ONE call sign.
Worth checking.

As for what rig, it depends upon what you want to do.
19 sets et al were ideal for those days, but today, most people expect everyone to limit their bandwidth, so SSB (and / or FM on the VHF bands) are virtually essential.
You do get a few AM stations at certain times, but if that is your only mode, you will be severely limited in what you can do.

I still have numerous old valve sets, many ex-WW2, but for regular use, I use a modern (ish) commercial rig for both HF and VHF.
In my case, I use Yaesu, and / or Icom.

No doubt others will have different views.

Alan G8BLW

Last edited by Alan Stepney; 3rd Jul 2014 at 6:13 pm. Reason: Added callsign
Old 3rd Jul 2014, 6:24 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

Well, that's a bottomless question!

Whatever you want, whatever takes your fancy. It can all be made to go.

You've not mentioned modes or bands of interest, existing antennae or space for same. Let these things steer you, and whatever happens to be available in your neck of the woods.

Advice can only be general:

Don't try to do everything.
With second hand gear you can flog it for what you paid so you can try things for free.
19 sets are nice in their way, but there's not much on AM, so that leaves Morse which you don't like.
R1155s are similar, plus they've become collector-fodder and the prices have rocketed.

If you want to do SSB, then that means late sixties gear. Collins is lovely but pricey. Drake might be a better choice.

The early Japanese valved stuff wasn't that well built and would likely be a major job getting and keeping going.

Later Japanese semiconductor stuff isn't bad and hybrids are sort of half-way of course.

There are still some charming radios a bit off the beaten track. Ten Tec Corsair 2 I suggest. All made out of standard parts, very fixable, relatively simple and quite high performance. Good SSB (great CW if you ever change your mind) and can do digital modes etc from a sound card. No valves though. Just watch out that Ten Tec routed mains up a big ribbon cable from their PSU to the on/off switch on the radio. Gives you that authentic high voltage danger, though

David
Old 3rd Jul 2014, 7:00 pm   #4
lesmw0sec
Octode

I would recommend that you go half-way. Something like a Yaesu FT101ZD - a bit of everything, (including some bottles) and big enough to get in and repair if required.
Old 3rd Jul 2014, 9:28 pm   #5
kellys_eye
Octode

Go for code! Challenge yourself and learn morse code - it's a great way to communicate, getting through QRM that most would despair of.
Old 3rd Jul 2014, 10:33 pm   #6
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Amateur Licence.

Commercially-made receiver and home-brew SSB TX? Even 20 watts p.e.p should bring a few contacts. Maybe add a home-brew linear later - using valves, of course! Just aim at one band - say 40 m. - see how things work out - and let your enthusiasm take it from there.

Al.
Old 3rd Jul 2014, 10:46 pm   #7
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I would also go for a 101ZD it was my first HF rig and the one I liked the best, they have excellent receive sound quality and do everything you are likely to want but the most important thing is you can repair them yourself!

Peter
Old 4th Jul 2014, 9:03 am   #8
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Do you want to operate and make contact, or do you want to spend most of your time repairing the kit?

WS19 to be completely honest is best left as a museum piece, and only used on special occasions.

The venerable FT101ZD and that era of equipment is so far behind the times now as to leave you frustrated and wanting more - band conditions and noise levels have changed dramatically, operating modes have changed - a modern radio will do a whole lot more, and very reliably as well.

If you fancy something home built, and want good receive performance, as well as a capable transmitter, could I suggest the Elecraft K2 - it is a kit, in which you specify the options you want, and assemble it all your self - I built mine some time back, it covered 160-10m, with SSB, had a noise blanker, and a couple of other options - took me a week to build it, and is a very fine radio.

I think you really need to be more specific as to what you want to do though.

Sean
M1ECY
Old 4th Jul 2014, 9:07 am   #9
GW3OQK Andrew
Pentode

CW is NOT dead and burried Andy, just have a listen at the lower end of 40 and 20m at a weekend. Unfortunately many radios come without a narrow band CW filter.

Personally I found the 2nd hand rigs I bought, FT101ZD, Drake T4 R4, was faulty including the PA valves. I know of a good working FT101ZD for sale by G3ZRJ if you are quick.

73, Andrew
Old 4th Jul 2014, 11:05 am   #10
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Hi Andy: I went through the same sort of cycle as you - got my G6 in the early 1980s, spent a bit of time on 2-metres with Pye Westminsters/Vanguards, never bothered with Morse [it holds no appeal for me whatsoever] then lost interest and let my licence lapse.

When the rules were changed to allow old "Class-B" licences HF access without Morse, it rekindled my interest.

What gear to buy depends on whether you're primarily interested in operating or fiddling! As others have said, there's very little double-sideband-and-full-carrier AM operation on the HF bands these days so a 19-set won't get you many contacts outside a few regular nets.

My approach to the "what radio to buy" was to get an ex-military Clansman PRC320 - though entirely solid-state it's "Vintage" in that it's 40+ years old, but does 30-odd watts of AM/CW/SSB up[ to 30MHz, and is sensibly frequency-stable. Not for everybody though - the "safecracker" decade-dials for frequency setting make tuning the bands rather difficult.

Before buying any gear I'd really suggest you check what your local QRM/QRN situation is like on the HF-bands you were thinking of using - in many urban areas 160/80/40Metres suffer a lot of interference from switch-mode PSUs, thyristor lighting-dimmers, plasma TVs, broadband internet, power-line-digital devices etc; solar-photovoltaic-panel inverters being the latest addition to the cacophony.

Also, how much space do you have for antennas?
Old 4th Jul 2014, 9:36 pm   #11
kellys_eye
Octode

Maybe I'm just masochistic but imho if you purchase a 'modern' rig (all-singing, all-dancing, do-everything-for-you) then you may as well just pick up the phone and talk to the person on the other side of the world.

What happened to the 'challenge'?

Suggestions to homebrew your kit are right up my street although I'd readily forgive the use of older classic ham equipment as they still required substantial user-input and extensive knowledge of antennas and propagation to establish a decent DX contact.

For me both CW and QRP make the hobby accessible and challenging - CW tx and rx equipment is relatively simple in design/construction and QRP means really having to make the most of your external hardware.

The modern licence requirements irk me in that it boils down to CB-radio with spangles.... the effective dumbing-down (personal opinion) of knowledge and the ease of availability of equipment that 'simplifies' the process of worldwide communication leaves hobby 'empty' of reason....

but that's just my opinion.....
Old 4th Jul 2014, 10:05 pm   #12
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Yes, I'm all for modern technology but when it comes to the HF bands the modern radios with zillions of buttons and huge LCD displays leave me cold...

I think the FT101ZD recommendation is a good one as long as a degree of unreliability and a few quirks are acceptable. In my opinion it is a classic radio that still has some old school charm but also benefits from having a decent user interface.

If you want to go older then try for an older version of the FT101. I had a lot of fun with an FT200 in the 1980s but this model is very much an economy radio and was usually bought as a stepping stone to the FT101ZD or the FT102.

In its day the FT102 was a lovely radio to own with a triple tube PA stage and I believe this radio still has a strong following today. However, I think they are becoming quite unreliable as each year passes.

If nostalgia and character (and reasonable reliability) were high on the list I would have these on my shortlist and I would expect to be happy with any of them:

Yaesu FT101ZD
Yaesu FT102
Trio/Kenwood TS520/530
Trio/Kenwood TS820/830

Note:
If you go notably 'older' than these radios (and I have done so myself) then you get into the classic dusty/hot/smelly/glowing all valve era of the 1960s and 70s.
These radios are full of character but if you have used more modern gear then the novelty will soon wear off. They are fine for the odd nostalgic tune around the bands but the drift can be very annoying if you like to sit and listen on one frequency for a long time and the receiver performance (and frequency stability) on the higher HF bands is often very poor.

Last edited by G0HZU_JMR; 4th Jul 2014 at 10:18 pm.
Old 4th Jul 2014, 10:58 pm   #13
Radio Wrangler

These hybrid transmitters use appreciably higher HT than valved broadcast receivers and as Jeremy just said the reliability is beginning to plummet. I've looked at a few Yaesus now with open circuit mains transformers as well as failures in the HT bits. Watch out for ones with dead counter chips

The FT901DM was Yaesus full-house hybrid rig but the 101ZD was the same thing with only a few less bells and whistles. The solid state replacement, the FTONE was a right pile of.... Avoid like the plague. The FT102 is a good suggestion and its three 6146s loaf along

The Trio/Kenwood FT830 was a little better built than the Yaesu rigs and was quite well liked in itss day. I second its recommendation.

No-one's mentioned ICOM, so I'd better. Their IC761 and IC765 are excellent performers and at a quarter century old are becoming vintage. With one of these you'll need to do a major campaign against dirty connectors and dry joints. You'll also need to replace three little trimmers in the final oscillator of the synth. The anti microphony goo rots them after about 15 years. After all the work you'll find it was worth it.

Earlier ICOMs were even more work. Their flow solder machine produced terrible results and the radios were less good. Beware also thaat the earlier radios held their software in RAM using a battery. When the battery died, it lost its software and needed more than just a battery.

Read the reviews on the web for the IC765.

QRP is great fun, but save it for when you need a bit more of a challenge. Have a go with something in the 100W bracket to find your way around, and when you eventually get bored, QRP will be waiting to save your sanity.

I use an IC765 on receive with a homebrew transmitter, crystal controlled and producing a few watts.

David G-QRP 3252
Old 5th Jul 2014, 6:36 am   #14
dsergeant
Octode

By all means explore rigs like the FT101ZD - after all I had one of those as my main HF rig for many years. But technology and amateur practice has moved on. If you want to do serious work on the HF bands you need a modern rig with its far better receivers, filters, and significantly better IMP products on transmit which reduces that ever present threat of TVI. If you want to do digital modes, increasingly popular, you will struggle if you try with an older rig. And don't forget CW, almost half of all amateur QSOs still take place on morse, it is far far from dead and a very enjoyable mode.

Keep the vintage rigs for special occasions, VMARS AM nets etc, but do get a rig from the last 10 years as your main rig.

73 Dave G3YMC
QRP CW operator
Old 5th Jul 2014, 11:25 am   #15
Peter.N.
Dekatron

For the casual operator like myself I found the 101ZD provided all I needed and in comparison with some of the newer rigs like the TS850 which I later had, I found the Yaesu easier to operate (apart from the frequency drift) it also had better audio quality and with a direct comparison the sensitivity was just as good, all the bells and whistles I didn't need, in fact I forgot what a lot of the switches were for.

Peter
Old 5th Jul 2014, 12:12 pm   #16
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Andy, What bands are you interested in? How much garden do you have? Are you specifically interested in 'vintage' AM? Do you want to work the world, or just join local nets? Do you want a transceiver or separate tx/rx?

Seeing as you mentioned valves, it's likely you're interested in vintage gear, and maybe even AM? If that's the case 80m has AM activity centred on 3615 kHz - as has been described on here before. (There is also international activity on 10 an 15m when conditions allow.)

You don't need a dipole to get on the band - but it would help! Just get as much wire in the air as you can manage and also as much wire laid under it (the counterpoise) as you can manage.

For 80 (and 160) metres with about 10 watts of AM, you probably can't beat a Codar AT5. They can be restored almost regardless of condition. Their drawback is they often come up without their matching PSU, but it's only LT, switched HT and switched aerial.

Good luck finding something anyway.

Ian, G4JQT
Old 5th Jul 2014, 12:22 pm   #17
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Amateur Licence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian - G4JQT View Post
For 80 (and 160) metres with about 10 watts of AM, you probably can't beat a Codar AT5. They can be restored almost regardless of condition
Apparently, the venerable 'KW Vanguard' is a very popular choice for 3615 kHz (and other freqs.). However, chances are that if you do come across one that has not been used for decades, a fair amount of restoration will be likely. But will that then be an insurmountable problem? I also recall reading somewhere that there are a series of modifications to that rig enabling O/P on 160 m.

Al.
Old 5th Jul 2014, 4:30 pm   #18
ex seismic
Heptode

Andy,

You haven't said where your interests lay, understandable if you don't really know after all this time. Before committing yourself to expenditure can I suggest monitoring the Hack Green SDR website for a while so you can judge what activity there is. Once you know what to look for AM transmissions are very easy to spot but I rather think you will see very few except for the VMARS net on 3.615 at 0830 on saturday mornings. From time to very occasional time they also crop up on 5.317.

If you do not know already 5MHz transmission requires an NoV to your licence but this is free and takes seconds to acquire via the internet.

Gordon
G7KNS
Old 5th Jul 2014, 7:13 pm   #19
Top Cap
Octode

Andy, don't forget the Rallies either, I purchased a Ten Tec Argosy II very cheap at one, runs only 50 Watts but at least it can be used in /P using a 12V source, ideal for getting away from local QRM. I live in a tower block on the 16th floor with S7 of noise, no space for aerials so I T-match the wire supporting the pigeon net around the balcony. Still get good 5-9's from Italy on it
Old 5th Jul 2014, 8:09 pm   #20
techiesteve
Pentode

Andy, choice of bands and kit type depends upon the size of your garden, how you get on with your neighbours and what your local noise levels are like. If the odds seem stacked against you operating from home, then consider operating portable. The PRC-320 makes a good portable setup, reasonably light when carried in the matching Bergen rucksack. Valve transceivers such as the KW2000A or B can still be effective when operated from home, but will need their mechanical filters dismantling, de gunking and reassembling, and maybe re aligning plus ageing components replacing. This prompts, how is your electronics knowledge and fault finding experience, something to consider if using older older kit. Your mention of 19 sets prompts that most seen for sale now are in an awful state and will need major refurbishing to get them operational. Wish I'd kept the 2 I had as a teenager.