UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Mar 2009, 6:59 pm   #1
SKEXIS1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Where does this go then? (Philips 555A component)

I've decided to re-start work on a very tired-looking and previously "got-at" Philips 555A.

There is a lot of work to do; much of the wiring needs replacing, the output
transformer is scrap and someone has changed the original valve line-up.

That said, it's a good challenge and using a replacement O/P transformer I managed to get some sound from it the other day, so I'm pursuing things!

I've removed the main tuning capacitor assembly for cleaning (it was covered in some very unpleasant grease) and came across what I think is "C33" per the trader sheet (724). Take a look at the photo attached.

C33 is the oscillator circuit LW trimmer and has a very low mfd rating (0.00003).

According to the trader sheet, the capacitance of this component is altered by changing the number of windings around the plastic former.

My question is whether the loose end (highlighted in red) actually goes anywhere?

Any help would be welcome!

Thanks

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips 555A 009 (Large) (2).jpg
Views:	152
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	23734  
Old 10th Mar 2009, 7:25 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Where does this go then? (Philips 555A component)

The short answer is no, it doesn't go anywhere. You just unwind it to reduce the capacitance.
Old 10th Mar 2009, 7:39 pm   #3
SKEXIS1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Where does this go then? (Philips 555A component)

Excellent - thanks for your help!
Closed Thread