UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Feb 2009, 2:01 pm   #1
Lee de Forest
Retired Dormant Member

Default Design Methodology: valve anode voltages

I have been looking at some old circuits for AM radios and there are several which use the following Mullard valve line up with a 230V ac power supply;
ECH35, EF39, EBC33.
Although the designs use the same valves there is a large variation in the specified working anode voltages e.g. 80 volts to 250 volts for the ECH35.
Why such large variations in the design voltages for the same valve running from the same power supply
One idea which crossed my mind was that the lower voltage sets were low power output long life designs.
Old 25th Feb 2009, 8:27 pm   #2
Oldtimer74
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Design Methodology: valve anode voltages

Since I guess that the main HT supply for all these radios was about 250V how was it reduced for the circuit you said had 80V on the anode? Was this by purely a decoupling resistor in the HT line to the IF transformer, or was it stabilised for some reason? Many cheap set circuits would dispense with any component they could get away with, so the full HT would be applied to the mixer and IF valve anodes to save the cost of components. Business was VERY competitive in those days. If they could get away with it without getting feedback, for instance, they would. Of course they would have to put a resistor in the screen supply as this must be lower than the anode voltage. The better sets might feed the screens from an individual potential divider for each valve. The cheaper ones might use a single common resistor to drop the voltage for more than one valve.

Pat G3IKR
Old 26th Feb 2009, 2:12 pm   #3
Lee de Forest
Retired Dormant Member

From memory the voltages were dropped using decoupling resistors in the HT line some of the circuits used the one resistor to feed the screens, some had individual resistors. I am interested in this because I am trying to understand why there was such a large variation in the working voltages for different designs. I had not considered the cost part in the design process but, as you say, they would reduce costs by eliminating any component they could get away with. It may only have been one resistor but if you could do that in several places with other parts it would soon stack up when you consider the reduction in fitting costs. I would liked to have been there to see how the design was developed to know the real reasons for doing things, I would imagine a lot of it was variation on a theme combined with some science and some rule of thumb.
Old 26th Feb 2009, 2:22 pm   #4
Tim
Dekatron

Quote:
The cheaper ones might use a single common resistor to drop the voltage for more than one valve.
But would't they then need a larger(and more expensive) de-coupling capacitor?
Old 26th Feb 2009, 2:39 pm   #5
Sideband
Dekatron

The other possibility is that there were variations with what the voltages were measured with. For example an early radio may have had voltages taken with an Avo 7. This would give lower readings than if the same voltages were measured with an Avo 8. Most circuits will tell you what the voltages were measured with. A typical example today would be for example measuring the anode voltage of a DAF96 battery pentode with a digital meter. You'd probably find the voltage was around 40v. Using an Avo 7 however on say the 500v range (that gives the highest impedance) it may only measure 20v.

Just a thought.

Rich.
Old 27th Feb 2009, 2:09 pm   #6
Lee de Forest
Retired Dormant Member

That's a big difference, it would not have occured to me that there would be such a large deviation in measurements.
I will check the quoted resistances for the different circuits to see if the values would be theoretically lower.
I had a bit of a play last night with my home made set that uses this line up. The anode voltages were recorded to start with and then I fitted some resistors to reduce the voltages. As expected a reduction in voltage gave a reduction in volume but I found that up to a point a large reduction in voltage did not give that much of a drop in volume. e.g. 250v to 150v on the anode of the EF39. Reducing the voltage on the ECH caused some instability(resonance) but this was cured by fitting a capacitor between the anode of this valve and earth/chassis.
The size and ratings of other parts might effect the voltages used i.e. the size of the I.F. transformers!
Old 19th Mar 2009, 7:07 am   #7
LCTorana
Triode

One reason that the converter and IF valves were run at such low voltages is that they can be run without any grid bias at all, reducing componentry and cost.

This can have the welcome side-effect of improving long-term reliability, both because there are less components to cause trouble, and because the effects of valve charecteristic drift are compensated for.
Old 19th Mar 2009, 1:52 pm   #8
Lee de Forest
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks I had not thought about that. I have read recently about certain later versions of valves not needing cathode resistors and capacitors.
I will look at the old circuits again and compare different anode voltages for the same valve against grid bias circuitry.
Closed Thread