UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 14th Dec 2009, 11:27 am   #21
Aerodyne
Octode

Default Re: Reproduction Ekco A22 Dials

Col, you are dead right - practice with one program. I could never get into Corel draw, though I do know some who did and found it useful. Paint Shop Pro is a handy cheaper alternative to Photoshop and has many of the same attributes plus being relatively easy to get 'into'. It was shareware until recent times and there may still be magazine-front disks about with copies of this.
-Tony
Old 14th Dec 2009, 4:48 pm   #22
Retired
Heptode

Hi Tony,

Thanks. I've just added more information to my thread "Water Slide Transfers" as I am getting more involved with Graphics.

I played around with my Corel Draw 8 but couldn't find out how to draw a sraight line?

I am leaning towards Zoner Draw 3 as recommended by Robert and am finding this much easier to get to grips with; already I can draw straight or curved lines and find the program very user friendly. I'm new to "layers" but see this program includes them and they add another very useful function which I hope to exploit.

I'd like to use graphics like you guys who are used to them but have one serious handicap in being colour blind. I need to put the hours in now learning the programs.

Regards, Col.
Old 17th Dec 2009, 1:43 pm   #23
igranic
Rest in Peace

Robert,

It is slightly pricey, but this may be the tool for producing large clean-cut circles. If it can cut carpet cleanly, it should manage laminated plastic with ease.

I have an Olfa circle cutter, which works on the same principle, but only up to 7.5cm diameter; it works really well on laminated material.

Edward
Old 17th Dec 2009, 2:43 pm   #24
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Hi Col,

Gimp is the best Photoshop clone/copy. It's a full program and it's freeware! You can download it here http://www.gimp.org/

HTH
David
Old 17th Dec 2009, 3:58 pm   #25
Retired
Heptode

Hi David,

Many thanks for the link and I agree Gimp is a fabulous program; Dominic Beesley introduced me to Gimp on his recent vist and I need to spend some time working with it.

Dom very kindly showed me the basics of Gimp and I was mightily impressed at how easy it was to change the overall colour of a picture.

I was getting into Zoner Draw 3 and making progress but when I tried to move the saved file around other programs rejected it saying something like File format not found; even e-mail rejected it; this might be down to my inexperience but I've now deleted the program.

I downloaded a free trial of Corel Draw Grahics Suite 4; this is an expensive program but will give me a lot of experience whilst I have access to it and unlike my very early version of Corel it is much easier for me to use. The free trial lasts 15 days and is useful as I'm trying various programs before selecting one to stick with. Moving files around from Corel is dead easy.

Thanks again David; Gimp is good.

Regards, Col.
Old 26th Dec 2009, 2:00 pm   #26
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by igranic View Post
I have an Olfa circle cutter, which works on the same principle, but only up to 7.5cm diameter...
Thanks for that link Edward, much appreciated, but the outer diameter of the dials is 11 5/16 inch.

However I have already purchased an Olfa circle cutter which cuts up to 22cm diameters and with a little modification have extended that to just over 30cm.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 22nd Feb 2012, 8:46 pm   #27
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Default Re: Reproduction Ekco Dials.

It's over a couple of years since I began this thread and thought it time I got around to updating it with some of my more recent reproduction dials.

Those of you who are BVWS members will have already seen the article I produced for The Bulletin (Vol.36 No.4 - Winter 2011 issue) covering some of my subsequent work in this area. For the benefit of non-BVWS members I should also like to offer some of my later artwork images here as well.

Note: I have attached all dial images as both jpg and zip files. Due to the constraints imposed by the forum software, the jpg files do not show the level of detail I would wish and so they largely serve as previews of what can be viewed in higher resolution in the zip versions.

Back in post #1 I mentioned the dial that was used on the rare export version of the A22, the A22T, which consists of MW and 2 x SW bands instead of LW, MW and SW found on the domestic set. At that time my reproduction artwork was approximately 75% complete, below is the finished dial printed and laminated ready for trimming:

Click image for larger version

Name:	A22T Export dial.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	62953

A22T Export dial.zip

I based my artwork largely on the following image of an original Ekco A22T export set, together with a collage of a few others showing closer images of the dial:

Name:	Ekco A22T.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	62955

I also found the images on the following webpage;

http://www.radioantigo.com.br/ekco.html

to be useful, although unfortunately they are too small a size to help with the details to any great extent.

More dials to follow!

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 9:10 pm   #28
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Despite only having a limited number of A22T dial images to work with I could still place the dial legends and details fairly accurately. I achieved this by noting the X,Y co-ordinates using my graphics software of all the major detail, such as frequency markers, station name positions, and so on. From this co-ordinate information and by knowing the co-ordinates of the exact centre of the dial I could calculate using trigonometry the angular position of all the dial details to transfer to my reproduction.

At this point I assign an arbitrary colour to each legend, in this case black for MW, red for S2 and green for S1. The exact shades are not important at this stage as when the artwork is complete the legend colours and the background shade can be varied independently of each other to achieve an acceptable visual colour match that approximates the colours of the original dial.

The following set of images show in steps how the dial artwork is created, each image builds on the last until it is complete.

I begin here with a base image and just the three semi-circular waveband legends;

Name:	A22T artwork 1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	63015

A22T artwork 1.zip

I then modify the black MW legend to include the required station and frequency markers;

Name:	A22T artwork 2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	63017

A22T artwork 2.zip

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 9:14 pm   #29
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Then to complete the MW legend I add the staion names and frequency points;

Name:	A22T artwork 3.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	63019

A22T artwork 3.zip

Now the S2 legend frequency markers and bands;

Name:	A22T artwork 4.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	63021

A22T artwork 4.zip

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 9:18 pm   #30
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Now the addition of the S2 legend's station names and frequency points;

Name:	A22T artwork 5.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	63023

A22T artwork 5.zip

And the addition of the S1 legend's frequency markers and bands;

Name:	A22T artwork 6.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	63025

A22T artwork 6.zip

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 9:22 pm   #31
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Finally the S1 legend's station names and frquency points are added;

Name:	A22T artwork 7.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	63027

A22T artwork 7.zip

And the legends around the band switching, volume and tuning controls plus the Ekco logo;

Name:	A22T artwork 8.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	63029

A22T artwork 8.zip

Each of these main steps are broken down further into several sub-steps but essentially adding layers of detail in this way is how the dial artwork is eventually produced, a little at a time.

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk

Last edited by Robert Darwent; 23rd Feb 2012 at 9:31 pm.
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 10:35 pm   #32
frglee21
Retired Dormant Member

A couple of years ago I would have adopted an "it'll do" attitude to a restoration.

It's amazing stuff like yours Robert that has spurred me to try and emulate such a high standard of work - I've a long way to go though

Very well done.

Lee.
Old 24th Feb 2012, 11:04 am   #33
Robert Darwent
Heptode

That's very kind of you to comment in such a way Lee. I can't think of a greater praise than to be told I have encouraged someone to try and emulate my work, even if it is only in some small way. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frglee21 View Post
I've a long way to go though
Judging by the standard shown in your recent Bush DAC10 success story, not as long as you think Lee.

Many thanks and regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk

Last edited by Robert Darwent; 24th Feb 2012 at 11:10 am.
Old 24th Feb 2012, 2:59 pm   #34
Robert Darwent
Heptode

At the end of post #31 I finished with the completed artwork. Complete that is only in terms of detail, below is the same artwork with the legend colours and background shade visually approximated to those used in an original dial;

Name:	A22T artwork A.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	63055

A22T artwork A.zip

Note: The colour shades displayed on your particular monitor will in all probability be quite different to those displayed by mine. Similarly, zooming into the zip images will show jagged legends and other detail simply because the images have been reduced in resolution for the forum. The original artworks are 6786 x 6786 pixels in size at 600dpi resolution and display no such 'blockiness' when printed.

Just as the colours displayed vary from monitor to monitor, so do the actual colours that are printed by a particular printer. I only use inkjet's, so my comments specifically refer to those types. Other types of printer are probably the same but I have no experience to confirm whether that is the case.

To illustrate what I mean, below is the same artwork as the last with the colours and background shades altered so that my printer actually prints the dial with the same colours as 'artwork A';

Name:	A22T artwork B.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	63057

A22T artwork B.zip

You can see that the colours displayed on the monitor are quite different to those actually printed out by the printer. In order to achieve the correct colour values required I first printed several colour swatches, such as the one shown below;

Name:	colour swatch.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	63060

These swatches are freely available on the internet, but in any case it is easy enough to create your own. Each square of colour has its RGB values printed on it, and when printed by your printer will give you a permanent reference chart so you can determine exactly how your own printer will produce a specific colour combination. When doing this be sure to print on exactly the same sort of paper and with the same printer settings as those you intend to print the artworks with or the resulting colour chart will be invalid.

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk

Last edited by Robert Darwent; 24th Feb 2012 at 3:04 pm.
Old 24th Feb 2012, 7:28 pm   #35
Robert Darwent
Heptode

The problem of colour matching is not only confined to the differences between what a particular monitor displays and what a particular printer actually produces.

It is a fact that the human eye perceives colour hue and saturation differently in response to contrast. Put in terms of colour matching a reproduction dial, if a dial artwork is viewed against a light backdrop then the shade used for the background of the dial will appear darker than if the same is viewed against a dark backdrop.

I had not realised just how striking this effect can be until I began experimenting with printing out my artworks. Often the background shade of the artwork that came out of the printer looked way too dark, against the white of the photo paper I was using, until I trimmed and test fitted it into an actual bakelite case when the same dial background then looked way too light.

To get around this problem I created in my graphics software, bakelite cases accurate in all respects, that I could test fit the artworks 'virtually' in to before physically printing them out. This method is not perfect, but what it does do very well is give a close 'ball-park' figure for the RGB colour values of the required background shade for the artwork. It is then a case of 'tweaking' this value until a final shade is found that is visually pleasing and acceptable.

Below is the virtual case I created for the brown/bronze A22 model with an appropriately darker background A22T dial artwork test fitted;

Name:	A22T Export (brown-bronze).jpg
Views:	114
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	63083

A22T Export (brown-bronze).zip

And a virtual case for the black/chrome A22 model, which has a lighter background A22T dial artwork test fitted;

Name:	A22T Export (black-chrome).jpg
Views:	132
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	63085

A22T Export (black-chrome).zip

If you've stayed with me up until this point you may well be asking why I have put so much effort and work into creating the A22T export dial in the first place.

Well, several months ago I was fortunate enough to acquire a bare A22 chassis for a very reasonable price. It was missing its dial, speaker and a set of valves, but was otherwise complete and in a reasonably good condition.

I already had a spare A22 brown bakelite case and was simply going to do the obvious thing and combine the two. Then I thought why not convert the chassis to the A22T version instead first. So the A22T dial shown in detail in this thread is the first step in the making of that replica set.

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 25th Feb 2012, 1:25 pm   #36
Robert Darwent
Heptode

In addition to the three types of Ekco A22 dial artworks shown throughout this thread, I have also produced reproduction versions of the Ekco AD65 dial.

Below is the reproduction dial (darker background) for the brown/bronze AD65 model shown test fitted into an actual case, minus the semi-circular dividing bar in these images;

Name:	AD65 (brown-bronze) dial.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	63129

AD65 (brown-bronze) dial.zip

Similarly, the reproduction dial (lighter background) for the black/chrome AD65 model;

Name:	AD65 (black-chrome) dial.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	63131

AD65 (black-chrome) dial.zip

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 25th Feb 2012, 1:31 pm   #37
Robert Darwent
Heptode

As before with the A22 dials, I created virtual bakelite cases to assist with obtaining appropriate RGB values for the background shades.

Below the virtual brown/bronze AD65 model and dial;

Name:	AD65 (brown-bronze).jpg
Views:	104
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	63135

AD65 (brown-bronze).zip

And the corresponding virtual black/chrome AD65 model and dial;

Name:	AD65 (black-chrome).jpg
Views:	153
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	63137

AD65 (black-chrome).zip

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 25th Feb 2012, 2:14 pm   #38
Robert Darwent
Heptode

About a year ago I was fortunate to acquire an empty brown bakelite AD65 case and decided to design and construct a reproduction chassis for it using components from scrap Ekco A23 and A28 sets that I have.

The parts from those two sets are more related to the components used in an A22 than an AD65, so I designed my reproduction chassis largely following the layout of an A22 but with aspects taken from the AD65 chassis as well.

Consequently, my hybrid set will have three wavebands, LW/MW/SW as per the A22, so I produced a dial for it that is the same size and shape as an original AD65 dial but with all the detail taken from a 'Type-1' A22 dial.

Note: All the detail has been compressed to fit into a 180 degree AD65 dial instead of the usual 260 degrees, and in terms of tuning accuracy should be exactly the same as the original A22 dial the detail was taken from.

Below the hybrid dial artwork;

Name:	AD65 Hybrid dial.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	63139

AD65 Hybrid dial.zip

And how it will look fitted into the AD65 case. I will be dispensing with the AD65 dividing bar;

Name:	AD65 (hybrid dial).jpg
Views:	123
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	63141

AD65 (hybrid dial).zip

I have been working on the hybrid chassis, off and on, for several months. It is approximately 80% complete at the present time. Hopefully, other projects permitting, I will finish it fairly soon and at that time intend to start a new thread regarding it.

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Closed Thread