UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Mar 2009, 3:56 pm   #1
John12868
Retired Dormant Member

Default EZ90 Rectifier Valve

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to produce a power supply using a 240/115 volt 0.12 amp transformer to power an amplifier using EF80 valves.

Would the EF90 rectifier be suitable for rectifying the 115 volt output and what sort of rectified voltage value would I expect to obtain?

Cheers

John
Old 3rd Mar 2009, 4:04 pm   #2
Tim
Dekatron

Default Re: EZ90 Rectifier Valve

Yes.More than adequate.
The EZ90/6X4/N78 can do about 70mA at 325-0-325 volts.

It's full wave of course, so you'll need a centre tapped transformer, or if you only have a single ended transformer,common the anodes via a lowish value resistor in each(to even out any inconsistencies).

http://www.r-type.org/exb/exb03815.htm

Not sure what the max resovoir capacitance or surge resistor is, but 100 ohms and 32uF will probably be fine.
Old 3rd Mar 2009, 4:12 pm   #3
paulsherwin

The offload smoothed DC voltage will be about 1.6 times the AC voltage, so you can expect about 180V DC. The voltage will be lower when current is being drawn.

An EZ80 or EZ81 would also be suitable. These use the same B9A base as the EF80 and are easier to obtain. You could also use silicon diodes of course.

Paul
Old 3rd Mar 2009, 10:47 pm   #4
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)

Hi all,
Just my two copper's worth, the EZ80 is almost the EZ90 in a bigger bottle. I was given a French radiogram sans EZ90. After consulting my Mullard manual I found that the heater ratings of both valves are the same but (I think) the anode current is higher at 90 mA. I made up an adaptor - B9A holder to B7G plug and it works perfectly
Hope this is useful.
Cheers de Pete