UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Oct 2008, 6:00 pm   #1
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Question P.C.R. 3 radio

Hi all,
Just bought this set to restore and was thinking of adding a BFO at the same time. I already have a circuit in mind using a single transistor and a small if unit.
Just wondering if the vast storeroom of knowledge oh here has any ideas or tips on this project?
Thanks,
Paul.
Old 19th Oct 2008, 11:53 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: P.C.R. 111 radio

This was a common modification in the 60s and 70s, when these sets were often converted to general amateur comms receiver use by hard up teenagers. You just need an oscillator running at around the IF frequency, with a control on the front somewhere.

I wouldn't recommend doing this today though. There are lots of mutilated PCRs around, and original unmodified examples are sought after and fetch good prices.

Paul
Old 20th Oct 2008, 6:40 am   #3
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Hi Paul,
You are right I ought not to go drilling holes in the old thing
I guess the kindest thing to do is just a capacitor change and use "as is".
I do seem to remember a long time ago a "stand alone", BFO unit which came in kit form from some supplier or other, and could (supposedly) provide the required beat frequency without any big modifications to the set in use? I guess it was connected by making an inductive connection to a valve by wrapping an insulated wire around a grid lead or some such?
Thanks,
Paul.
Old 20th Oct 2008, 9:16 am   #4
davidw
Heptode

Just a thought, I used to resolve ssb on a.m by loosely coupling the output of a signal generator to the aerial (a few turns wound round the aerial lead)and injecting something close to the received frequency(ie.offset by the I.F.) With the careful adjustment of the generator frequency and level readable ssb is achievable. Might be worth a try; certainly,as Paul says, don't go drilling holes in it!!!!
Old 20th Oct 2008, 10:22 am   #5
paulsherwin

You could build the oscillator in a separate box and run a wire into the PCR, loosely coupling it to the IF chain somewhere. This would be easily reversible.

Paul
Old 20th Oct 2008, 11:19 am   #6
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Thumbs up Re: P.C.R. 111 radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
You could build the oscillator in a separate box and run a wire into the PCR, loosely coupling it to the IF chain somewhere. This would be easily reversible.

Paul
Hi Paul,
Grand Idea Now to scrounge a tin box off the wife. and get the soldering iron warmed up. I will post photos of the full job when done.
thanks everyone
Old 20th Oct 2008, 12:57 pm   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

You may want to make the BFO output level variable so as not to swamp the AGC on the PCR (unless it has the option for variable RF gain with the AGC off).

Just poking a short length of unscreened wire from the BFO into an IF can should provide adequate coupling!

Chris
Old 20th Oct 2008, 1:08 pm   #8
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
You may want to make the BFO output level variable so as not to swamp the AGC on the PCR (unless it has the option for variable RF gain with the AGC off).
The PCRs don't have switchable AGC or an RF gain control, and this was another common mod back in the 60s.

They are really just broadcast receivers, intended to allow soldiers far from home to listen to familiar BBC voices. They do have a tuned RF amp so are quite sensitive.

Paul
Old 20th Oct 2008, 3:30 pm   #9
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Paul's completely right about the sensitivity. The PSU on mine is currently u/s but it was a surprisingly lively SW set when in use due to that RF amp, which also made conversion to comms mode a real possibility. There are articles in PW from the sixties. If you do a "PCR receiver" search on here Paul [Kalee] there are two threads Nov/Dec 2007 re restoration/derivations and polite disputes about whether it really was just a "Naafi Set" or not. Lots of interesting links and info!
Hope this helps you. Dave W
Old 20th Oct 2008, 4:16 pm   #10
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Thumbs up Re: P.C.R. 111 radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
Paul's completely right about the sensitivity. The PSU on mine is currently u/s but it was a surprisingly lively SW set when in use due to that RF amp, which also made conversion to comms mode a real possibility. There are articles in PW from the sixties. If you do a "PCR receiver" search on here Paul [Kalee] there are two threads Nov/Dec 2007 re restoration/derivations and polite disputes about whether it really was just a "Naafi Set" or not. Lots of interesting links and info!
Hope this helps you. Dave W
Thanks Dave,
I have just about decided that whatever I do will involve no mechanical alterations to the set. So I will be building a separate BFO and coupling by RF somehow. I have already built a circuit today for such an "add on", BFO working from 9 volt battery and it's working on an existing Ekco set which has a few short wave "spread", bands. I was able to listen to a few hams on 40 meters SSB. So all I need to do now is get stuck into restoring my PCR 111.
I will post photos of the whole lot when I get done.
Paul.
Old 20th Oct 2008, 9:05 pm   #11
JHGibson
Retired Dormant Member

You can get the effect of a BFO by causing the last IF amp to go into oscillation. Hallicrafters used this simple, cheap method by wrapping a turn of insulated wire around the anode lead, then continuing the wire and wrapping it one turn around the grid lead. The end of the wire then goes to a switch which grounds the wire. When the switch is closed, the wire only induces a neglegible few pf's of capacity to groumd.at the anode and grid. With the swich open, these few pf's are in series from anode to grid and the the IF goes into oscillation.
As usual with these simple BFO's, the AGC line will need to be earthed.
John.
Old 20th Oct 2008, 10:08 pm   #12
Stockden
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHGibson View Post
You can get the effect of a BFO by causing the last IF amp to go into oscillation.
I'm pretty certain that I've got an old PW article somewhere that modifies the PCR in just this way. IIRC it includes a pot so you can get variable selectivity up to the point of oscillation and then a BFO effect. If you're interested in a copy Paul, let me know and I'll dig it out and scan it.

Hugh
Old 21st Oct 2008, 7:15 am   #13
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockden View Post
I'm pretty certain that I've got an old PW article somewhere that modifies the PCR in just this way. IIRC it includes a pot so you can get variable selectivity up to the point of oscillation and then a BFO effect. If you're interested in a copy Paul, let me know and I'll dig it out and scan it.

Hugh
Hi Hugh,
Yes thanks I would like a look at that circuit. I am still very much at the development stage and am looking at as many ideas as possible.
Thanks again,
Paul.
Old 21st Oct 2008, 5:53 pm   #14
Stockden
Heptode

Paul,

I've attached scans of the 2 page article as promised. They're not as good as I'd hoped so let me know if you'd like me to have another go.

Hugh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PCR 1b.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	20743   Click image for larger version

Name:	PCR 2b.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	20744  
Old 21st Oct 2008, 6:07 pm   #15
dave walsh
Dekatron

Hi Hugh. Which PW is it please? I'm sure I will have it. Dave W
Old 21st Oct 2008, 6:12 pm   #16
Stockden
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
Hi Hugh. Which PW is it please? I'm sure I will have it. Dave W
Unfortunately it comes from an era when PW didn't date the pages of the magazine, so the publication date is unknown (to me at least). However, it refers to a 1965 article which was "long out print" so I'd guess it was somewhere between 1966 and 1969.

Hugh
Old 21st Oct 2008, 11:07 pm   #17
dave walsh
Dekatron

I've only got up to February 1967 so far but the article mentioned at the end of the one supplied by Hugh[ie June 65] is very comprehensive, including a Product Detector/BFO combination. As Paul isn't planning to be too invasive with his set however this may be "interest only". Dave W
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 12:06 am   #18
paulsherwin

I think I remember Hugh's article. It would be from 1968 or 1969 if I'm right.

Paul
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 8:29 pm   #19
JHGibson
Retired Dormant Member

You can also get the last IF to go into controlled oscillation by breaking the earth end of the screen by-pass capacitor wire and inserting a 10K pot there. Withe the pot at zero ohms you get normal receiver operation. As you turn the pot up you get controlled feed back which will improve selectivity somewhat. With the pot increased still more, the IF will start to oscillate and acts as a BFO. This all comes about because the screen grid becomes less effective and the plate to grid capacity increases.
John.
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 9:27 pm   #20
Herald1360
Dekatron

That very article brought back some early radio tinkering memories- I used the screened cable feedback and pot IF gain idea in it on an old radiogram to resolve the strange Donald Duck noises that I had figured must be SSB. I don't recall having the knowledge then about how to short out the AGC line, so it must have been a strong signal!

ISTR I did it before we moved away from Worcester which was late '66 or early '67, though.

Chris
Closed Thread