UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Dec 2008, 7:59 pm   #1
dominicbeesley
Octode

Default Connectors

Hello all,

Having bought a few bits and bobs at the auction this weekend I'm now trying to figure out how to hook them up and being new to military radio am struggling to find the right connectors and any information on pin assignments.

Are there any good sources on the net? I've tried googling but don't really know what to look for!

Specifically, Jones Connectors for power to sets, is there a set of standards, I've got a few pieces with 6 pin connectors but with differing mating pins.

Also on the back of a few items there's a mains input connector with a threaded collar and the three pins at 60 degrees in a pie-chart arrangement. I could always replace these with IEC connectors but would prefer to keep them original if possible.

Cheers

Dom
Old 3rd Dec 2008, 8:07 pm   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Connectors

Dom
The last one - it sounds like a Bulgin connector? Black with a flange on the end?
If so, L/N/E are marked on the inside.
Old 3rd Dec 2008, 8:59 pm   #3
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

The mains input connector with threaded locking ring sounds very much like the Plessey 3-pin mains connector often found on Marconi, Racal and similar military standard equipment. These can often be obtained second-hand at radio rallies, but beware - it is possible to assemble them any way round, and there is no 'standard' pin allocation for live, neutral and earth, as I found when I survived a live-earth mixup when using a lead made for one type of equipment to power-up another type

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 3rd Dec 2008, 9:01 pm   #4
Top Cap
Octode

Could it be a Plessey connector as described in this thread?

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...933#post162933

Les
Old 3rd Dec 2008, 9:03 pm   #5
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

The six-pin Jones connectors I've seen have the pins arranged three sets of two and a locating pin between four of the pins, likewise the eight pin Jones plugs.

X X X
.......P
X X X

X being the connecting pin and P the locating pin. The fullstops had to be put in to get the spacing right.

I'm not sure there's a standard for Jones plugs, and in any case, it's always best to get hold of the manual for the equipment and check the actual connections against it. You never know what you'll find with this stuff, for instance, someone could have changed it, for their own reasons.

A box of Jones plugs went for £30-ish as I recall. Opportunity is something most easily recognised in retrospect. It just might also be one of the reasons why the ferreting boxes attracted interest.

I believe you can get new Jones plugs from Farnell, but they're dear. There was a thread on the subject a time back. Otherwise they're becoming hard to find.

On the other hand you might go to a rally and find a boxful for a tenner, these things happen and patience helps in this business. There are dealers who'll have some for a price.

The other connector sounds like the Plessey connector found on the RA17, CT160, B40 and others. There are a couple of patterns which look similar but which are not interchangeable, the CT212 sig gen uses the other pattern. I think the insert is different. They're not uncommon and a tenner is as much as I think you should pay for one. Maybe someone on here can help. Make sure you get the right sort.

Some people removed the Plessey connectors from RA17s etc, because there was an idea that they weren't very well isolated and it was better to have a fixed flex.

However, when discussing these things a few pictures can help, so if you have a digital camera which can take close ups, let's see what you have.

Also, don't neglect ebay when looking for this stuff. I find it's generally too expensive, but it's easy to check and you may be lucky.

It's a shame we didn't hook up for a chat and a cup of coffee some time through the day. Maybe next time.

Pete.
Old 3rd Dec 2008, 9:30 pm   #6
Brased
Hexode

With the original Plessey Mk 4 plugs it is just a matter of assembling the bits in the appropriate formation. Although tedious, it is practicable to convert a mains lead set up for one piece of equipment for use on another. As far as I know there are two different setups for 3 core mains leads. The Mk 4 was made in from 2 way (used for the mains input on the B40) up to at least 25 way. I seem to remember a thread on this forum where modern replacements were mentioned which don't have this flexibility. There is also a similar type of plug used on army equipment which has a much coarser locking thread.

The new Jones plugs from Farnell are I believe imported directly from the US (Newark) and there is a substantial fixed charge which makes buying small quantities even more expensive.

Edward
Old 3rd Dec 2008, 9:33 pm   #7
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Dom,

I can do Plessey mains connectors for you - I have a few in stock - is this for the Hartley Scope?

I have some Jones plugs here - only 12 pin though..... You might be able to "lash" something up...... I assume this is for one of the type 234 Power units......

Cheers
Sean
Old 3rd Dec 2008, 10:26 pm   #8
dominicbeesley
Octode

Thanks lads,

They do indeed look to be "plessey" connectors. You Sean one's for the Scope (not too bothered about that one) the other's for a Power Unit and another for an anonymous power supply I got for the bench from Mike Lewis a while back.

Send me a PM Sean and I'll arrange some money...

As to the Jones connectors I've got enough parts to make one up that I need to keep the Power Unit intact, the rest is just for projects so I'll probably switch to something that I've got to hand!

Thanks for all the replies, no doubt more questions soon as I'm having a major tidy up and trying to sort out / identify and then decide what to keep, give away, sell, weigh in or dump!

Cheers

Dom
Old 4th Dec 2008, 1:51 pm   #9
pmmunro
Octode

This thread may be of some help.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=30432

PMM

Last edited by Station X; 4th Dec 2008 at 1:54 pm. Reason: lLink added.
Closed Thread