UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st May 2020, 8:00 pm   #1
andybaz
Triode

Default Sanyo VTC 5400P

Hi all, new here, just had a family loft clear out and given the job to get our VTC5400 going to see family tapes.

Given the unit a good clean and hoover/blow out, tape loads and ejects, the circular carriage moves.

Click fast forward, runs for about 3seconds stops, hit rewind - again runs for about 3 secs then stop.
Click play , runs a couple turns then stops etc.

Im opening the cassette, to make sure 1st the reel isnt wound too tight.

We cant find the handbook and looked online, but online searches dont really assist with our current situation. Trying to get the tape to FF,REW,PLAY while trying to source some adapters to connect to tv etc.

Any views, comments, weblinks greatly appreiated.

Cheers for reading folks, Andy
Old 1st May 2020, 8:24 pm   #2
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Default Re: Sanyo VTC 5400P

Hi Andy

The tape counter on this model has a hall-effect sensor that monitors tape movement. The counter is driven by two small and thin belts and the larger one connects to the take-up spool. If the counter stops working due to these belts being worn or stretched, the system control circuit will think that the tape isn't moving and will shut the machine down. See attached pictures.

Regards,

Fivos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-05-01 at 10.22.06 PM.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	204511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-05-01 at 10.23.22 PM.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	204512  
Old 2nd May 2020, 12:15 am   #3
andybaz
Triode

Thank you Fivos, i did spot the front belt to the counter very flimsy and slack, so will strip and take a closer look, thank you for your time it is appreiated.

Regards Andy
Old 2nd May 2020, 1:59 am   #4
ben
Dekatron

Apart from belts, the rubber idler tyres will need at the very least a going-over with a nail file or fine sandpaper. If cracked they'll need to be replaced.

A machine that's 35 odd years old and that has been standing for ages will not simply work after all this time, it's like expecting a car to function in the same situation!

You will also need BNC to phono adaptor for the video signal output, IIRC.
Old 2nd May 2020, 10:36 am   #5
andybaz
Triode

Cheers Ben, adapter type name ☺, not expecting machine to work straight off but trying to get moving life into components and things are starting to move ☺ cleaning as I go.

They're old family tapes and with this virus going round going to take time and see if we can breathe life into the old machine.

Will update as i go along etc ☺
Old 2nd May 2020, 4:36 pm   #6
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Ben

A common problem with the VTC 5300/5400 series is the loading ring getting stuck while loading or unloading. Apart from the loading belt, this is also caused by a flat spot on the loading idler tyre as well as a rough ridge on the loading ring. Filing those down with a fine grit sandpaper fixes that issue, at least it worked on my VTC 5350 which couldn't eject at all after a new loading belt was fitted. But Andy's 5400 seems to load and unload OK so I wouldn't mess with these parts.

Regards,

Fivos
Old 2nd May 2020, 6:14 pm   #7
andybaz
Triode

Hello folks,

Before doing anything with the machine i opened it with being in the loft - and yep blew out and hoover etc as much as possible to asses general condition, gentle touching of visable belts (front to counter) shows very slack, so yes needs looking at, once brushed/hoovered, loaded tape and track loading carriage stuck after about 1cm of its travel, but gentle further cleaning yes she loads and unloads smoothly.

So need to get under the tape unit to gears/pulleys & belts to inspect - if we can get this going nicely - this will make a nice family get together in these uncertain times etc, i thank you all for reading and commenting.

Regards Andy
Old 2nd May 2020, 9:53 pm   #8
toshiba tony
Heptode

And wasn't it the 5400 that frequently left a loop of tape after eject? The mod was to fit a resistor somewhere in the motor drive circuit, always cured it for me.
Old 3rd May 2020, 11:46 am   #9
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

No. You are talking about the later models (VTC 5000/5550/5100/5150) which can indeed be modified for greater take-up reel torque. The VTC 5300/5350/5400 series have a completely different mechanism that retains the tape loaded all the time, even during FF/REW.
Old 3rd May 2020, 12:16 pm   #10
andybaz
Triode

Looks a night mare to get down to the belts, going to remove from cover etc. to see what's visible from the front etc. Can't see much in Google images etc but still working away.
Old 3rd May 2020, 12:28 pm   #11
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Andy

To get at the counter belt, just remove the take-up reel disk but be careful not to lose any washers in the process (see pics). The other thick belts are used for driving the idler gear in PLAY/FF/REW. Don't remove those.

Regards,

Fivos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200503_142122.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	204700   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200503_142155.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	204701   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200503_142211.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	204702   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200503_142222.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	204703  
Old 3rd May 2020, 12:34 pm   #12
andybaz
Triode

Some nice images there Fivo, thank you, the images suggest that the tape carriage/carrier is removed,so think, should be starting there to gain a little more access , thank you for that little bit of info, its appreaited.

Regards andy
Old 3rd May 2020, 12:39 pm   #13
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

You don't really have to remove the cassette carriage but it's certainly easier to work on the deck with the carriage removed. Instructions attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200503_143626.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	204709   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200503_143629.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	204710  
Old 3rd May 2020, 12:45 pm   #14
andybaz
Triode

I did see that plastic top plate with 3 screws, and started here,taking it very slowly, getting down inside .... im a toyota car technician in my full time job ... so slowly gently and methodically is the way forward - thank you Fivo for your time and comments/input.

Regards andy
Old 3rd May 2020, 1:28 pm   #15
andybaz
Triode

Hi Fivo, off to scan the internet now, i cant keep calling on here, as we all have lives to leed and things to do - attached is my partially stripped machine - i need to strip further into this, removing gears etc, as both the ARROWED belts are very lose slack - i feel i need to rectify this problem before continuing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LOSE BELTS X2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	204714  
Old 3rd May 2020, 1:46 pm   #16
andybaz
Triode

Ok .... that was easy, poss not the right wat to do it.
1.Front belt to mechanical tape counter removed.
2. Belt to WHITE pulley removed.
3. Belt thin to underside large BLACK gear removed.

Now need to search part numbers for belts 1 & 2 or find something suitable to go in its place.

Although using something different may require the removal of the gearing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PART NO. REQUIRED.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	204715  
Old 3rd May 2020, 6:57 pm   #17
andybaz
Triode

We are getting results - ok so the 2 required belts arrowed yellow are different lengths - the rear belt being longer has stretched, so a temporary measure is taken the front belt which is shorter and fitted to run in the rear position.

Using a small rubber band feeding from pulley to tape counter ... we have life - these are temporary, so now these 2 belts replacing, the test rubber band is not brillant but proves the counter when stops etc stops the machine.

My next issue is the screen image is PURPLE & GREEN STRIPED top to bottom across the screen, audio is ok for machine & tape age etc, looks like some one has taped a tv programme aswell .

To sum up: i need 2 to source 2 belts and now look at the colour/lines issue.
Old 3rd May 2020, 8:08 pm   #18
toshiba tony
Heptode

Yes, fivos, thought it didn't look right when I posted, and didn't the later one unlace on r\w f/f? You know what, it really is so long ago, now what did I have for breakfast, getting that bad, thanks for putting me right.
Old 3rd May 2020, 8:53 pm   #19
ben
Dekatron

The purple/green thing may be noise on the power supply output(s) (duff capacitors), leaky capacitor in the chroma circuit, or some other problem. Whatever you do, do not go twiddling any adjustment potentiometers in an attempt to 'correct' the problem, as this would likely render the unit beyond economic repair.

If possible try the unit on a CRT TV first, as some modern flatscreen sets react poorly to a weak analogue signal, say.
Old 4th May 2020, 10:32 am   #20
andybaz
Triode

watching through the tape - looks like someone in the family taped over some home movies with tv programmes .... not ideal but gives me something to work with - so next is to try a old tv and see what results i get - this is a screen shot from through a acer pc monitor, about 6yrs old etc so not modern.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stripes.1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	204826  
Closed Thread