UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th May 2020, 12:36 pm   #1
Kevin19
Tetrode

Default Pye FV1 any ideas please?

Hello to everyone.

A few years ago I dabbled in restoring a few older Pye TV sets and had great fun and had so much help here when I got stuck particularly on my rather Lovely Pye Bakelite V2 and my Pye BV20C Sets which still work so well today.
But like I say that was years ago In these lockdown days I thought it may be fun to have a go again at another one of my none working Pye sets. So this brings me on to my Pye FV1. I have read posts here about drying the LOPT out which I have followed before even starting to attempt any restoration. Now the Tube gave me good emission on my CRT Tester the power resistors had totally disintegrated so after sorting those out and then one by one changing the many capacitors in this set I reach this point. I enclose a photo of what I have on the screen now I have connected up the Aurora but don't seem to get any signal going thought the set as this is all I get on the screen being somewhat rusty to the ways of old TV's and not wanting to rush in and start changing this and that. So I wonder does anyone have any ideas to where I should look next on this Pye FV1. By the way, I'm no expert that's understatement of the year he says laughing so do bear that in mind, please! I was just so pleased just to get a raster up on the screen! But any thoughts or ideas would be very welcome indeed how to move on. My thanks Kev.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5064962 (2).jpg
Views:	182
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	205058  
Old 7th May 2020, 4:14 pm   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye FV1 any ideas please?

just a thought. Is it tuned to the station that your Aurora is set for? In your area it could be Sutton Coldfield CH4 or A.P. Simple things first!
If it is tuned correctly and the contrast control has some effect on the brilliance of the raster, I suspect the decoupling capacitors in the I.F. strip, some of which may be O/C. You may discover that the video output valve EF80 is getting a bit warm visually! The I.F. strip may have burst into oscillation. The capacitors are really nasty to change. Use ceramic types and refit the replacements in as near similar position to the originals.
John.

Last edited by Heatercathodeshort; 7th May 2020 at 4:23 pm.
Old 16th May 2020, 10:50 pm   #3
Kevin19
Tetrode

Default Re: Pye FV1 any ideas please?

Many thanks, John. I have done a little bit more I'm a bit slow! Still, nothing coming through on the RF side no sound or vision. But I think you are spot on its going to be all those little coloured coded caps in that RF side of things a few have gone bang all ready and scared the life out of me how can such a little thing make such a big bang! Some look a real nightmare to get in to change you say best to use Ceramic capacitors? And type or sort that is best to use here? For these, there seems like hundreds when you start looking. I will have to get some ceramic type and slowly work my way through them. Yes, I had this all set all up for Channel 4 with the Aurora as this is a or was a local set to Northampton so I was OK there, Thanks again will post back when I have one some more and started to change all those caps! Thanks again, Kevin.
Closed Thread