UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Old 17th May 2020, 3:28 pm   #1
TapeTwoK
Triode

Default Geometry Issues with a Dual DRF 2810 CRT TV

Hi all, I picked up this TV today, and noticed it's rather warped at the edges of the picture. I looked around the web to see if I could access any kind of service menu, but no luck. Does anyone know how to get into the service menu of this TV? (Or if it even has one?) Or are my geometry issues likely caused by components instead?

I've never come across this brand before, so I'm not familiar with it, though it does look like a rebranded Philips.

I've also posted a picture of the remote, in case that helps.

Thank you in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1361.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	206079   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1362.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	206080   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1363.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	206081  
TapeTwoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2020, 3:33 pm   #2
Red to black
Octode

Default Re: Geometry Issues with a Dual DRF 2810 CRT TV

That barcode/serial number looks to be Vestel so does the remote.

Yes, definitely Vestel, the 11AK 4X sticker says it all, what is the 11AK number btw ?, it looks like 11AK49 but I cannot see even with your picture enlarged.

Last edited by Red to black; 17th May 2020 at 3:39 pm.
Red to black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2020, 3:39 pm   #3
dazzlevision
Nonode

Underneath the “Warning” English text, there appears to be a Vestel (a Turkish manufacturer) chassis type: 11AK4?
dazzlevision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2020, 3:51 pm   #4
TapeTwoK
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red to black View Post
That barcode/serial number looks to be Vestel so does the remote.

Yes, definitely Vestel, the 11AK 4X sticker says it all, what is the 11AK number btw ?, it looks like 11AK49 but I cannot see even with your picture enlarged.
Thanks for the reply! A couple of places mentioned Vestel, but I wasn't sure of the mode. This TV is indeed 11AK49. (Apologies for the bad quality, my phone doesn't like dark scenes)

I did manage to access the service menu by pressing 'Menu' and then 4 7 2 5 as mentioned in another Vestel manual.

But the values are quite cryptic, and not mentioned in my manual (as it's not for this version.

Name:	IMG_1365.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	206082

Name:	IMG_1366.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	206083

Name:	IMG_1372.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	206084
Old 17th May 2020, 4:05 pm   #5
ben
Dekatron

I remember doing a few of these Vestel with this problem back when they were quite new. I think the EEPROM used to get corrupted and cause this symptom. Will try and find my notes
Old 17th May 2020, 4:13 pm   #6
Red to black
Octode

This chassis uses a Philips UOC III chip as both the main micro as well as the rest of the small signal circuitry (jungle chip) so the values are somewhat cryptic.

Most of these that I saw had failed lopts just out of warranty, not to sure about software problems on these such as the AK45 had, probably a hardware fault in the EW modulator circuit.
I will have a look on Electrotanya for a manual, or if I still have access to Vestel technical will see if I can get the specific manual for your set.
Old 17th May 2020, 4:14 pm   #7
TapeTwoK
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
I remember doing a few of these Vestel with this problem back when they were quite new. I think the EEPROM used to get corrupted and cause this symptom. Will try and find my notes
Hi Ben, thanks for the reply! I wonder how corruption may have occurred? If that's the case, I hope the programming would be easy to find, and still possible to carry out.

I would definitely appreciate any notes you can dig up.
Old 17th May 2020, 4:21 pm   #8
TapeTwoK
Triode

Quote:
This chassis uses a Philips UOC III chip as both the main micro as well as the rest of the small signal circuitry (jungle chip) so the values are somewhat cryptic.

Most of these that I saw had failed lopts just out of warranty, not to sure about software problems on these such as the AK45 had, probably a hardware fault in the EW modulator circuit.
I will have a look on Electrotanya for a manual, or if I still have access to Vestel technical will see if I can get the specific manual for your set.
Thank you for the reply, and the offer to search for a manual for me. If the LOPT is dying, I wonder if it would even be worth doing on such a cheap set? The Tube does seem fairly crisp and bright so maybe I'd look into it, if that happened to be the failure. The frame does shake a fair bit, so I do wonder if the LOPT is involved?
Old 17th May 2020, 4:24 pm   #9
Red to black
Octode

The lopt died on these in such a way that the set was effectively dead/tripping ie. it did not die gradually, it either worked or didn't.
Old 17th May 2020, 4:28 pm   #10
TapeTwoK
Triode

Quote:
The lopt died on these in such a way that the set was effectively dead/tripping ie. it did not die gradually, it either worked or didn't.
Oh crap that's a shame. Makes me wonder if it will conk out randomly one day in the not so distant future...
Old 17th May 2020, 6:01 pm   #11
ben
Dekatron

Hi, it seems the last one I saw was actually an 11ak45. No idea how similar that was to the AK49 you have, it has been ages since I last saw one. Will post the notes just in case:

Schöntech SFX28PRF, 28" WS (chassis: vestel 11AK45).
NO RASTER, EHT OK
-VERTICAL COLLAPSED, REPLACED FRAME CHIP STV9379FA AND R611 (2R1) o/c. CAUSE:CORRUPTED EEPROM, USED FERGUSON FTV28FW1 (SAMSUNG TUBE) part number14006ZR from Charles Hyde.
Old 18th May 2020, 2:43 pm   #12
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Although we had loads of AK45s with corrupt EEPROMs the AK49 was far better in this respect. For that reason I'd be inclined to look for an electrical fault first.
You could usually diagnose a faulty EEPROM (if they worked enough) by swapping aspect ratios. A fault in the E/W circuit caused bowing on all ratios, an EEPROM fault caused wildly different shapes, culminating in the set tripping when 4:3 was selected.
To be honest, getting the geometry right on all ratios was like convergiong a dual-standard colour TV - could take all afternoon and still not be quite right!
Old 18th May 2020, 5:26 pm   #13
stacman
Tetrode

The top row of numbers on the I.D plate, has a section of 4 numbers in a rectangle, 6214 in this case, I think that’s a vestel trait and usually a sign,
As for the ‘manufacturer’, Dual, anything to do with the turntable/hi fi company?
Just one of the many named brands under the vestel badge.
Regards, Alan.
stacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2020, 7:31 pm   #14
stacman
Tetrode

Apologies, It's 0612 in the rectangle.
stacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2020, 8:47 pm   #15
Red to black
Octode

Apologies TapeTwok, I will dig a manual out for you, I haven't forgotten, just still at work and general life gets in the way.
Old 19th May 2020, 10:20 am   #16
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Looking again at your pictures, I'm sure you have a fault in the E/W circuit. It's not too complicated. There are a couple of capacitors and the diodes that fail - I'd be inclined to replace them all. As I said earlier, it's unusual for the AK49 to have EEPROM corruption. If you do go down that route, note all the values down first.
What make of CRT is in there? They used Philips (great picture but failed early), Thomson (terrible picture but lasted forever) and Samsung (good picture but the neck had an alarming tendency to fall off for no reason). They all have different EEPROM values.
Old 20th May 2020, 12:36 am   #17
Maarten
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacman View Post
Apologies, It's 0612 in the rectangle.
This means it was manufactured the 12th month of 2006. Decoding Vestel numbers is a unique skill, I'll have to find my notes on that but for those with access to Euras/Aswo, it is mentioned somewhere in there as well.
Maarten is offline   Reply With Quote