UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th May 2017, 5:47 pm   #1
stuboy57
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dansette Conquest Auto Restoration

Picked up this Dansette Conquest Auto to restore, looks like it is all original and untouched as it still has the 2 twin flex cable and light plug, I've removed the old original twin flex cable and brought some new cable, which is 0.75mm 6 amp 3 core cable and fitted a new plug with a 3 amp fuse, (could not find a 6 amp 2 core cable) I need to connect the new cable ends to the record player terminals (see last 2 pictures which show the original cable connections and removed) but which contact does live need to go to?....plus what about the earth cable?.....as the original cable was twin flex there was no earth attached.....once I get the unit wired i can test if it is working via my lamp limiter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170524_125702.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	143434   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170524_125708.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	143435   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170524_125746.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	143436   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170524_125758.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	143437   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170526_134109.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	143438  

Old 27th May 2017, 7:38 pm   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Dansette Conquest Auto Restoration

If the Conquest Auto is a 'live chassis' model (The valve will be a 'U' series, probably a UL84, if it is) then ON No Account must a 3-core mains lead be fitted. A 2-core lead must be used, making sure that the blue (Neutral) wire is connected to chassis
Old 27th May 2017, 7:51 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

From the pics, the first valve letter is E, the last number is 2, that suggests an ECL82 is fitted so probably the D/T type amplifier, if that's the case then which way round the Live and Neutral are connected shouldn't matter.

If the record player is fitted with that type of amplifier and you want to earth the unit then the mains earth should be connected to the amplifier's chassis.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 27th May 2017 at 8:06 pm. Reason: addition
Old 27th May 2017, 7:55 pm   #4

Quote:
ON No Account must a 3-core mains lead be fitted. A 2-core lead must be used
Why? Surely the earth could be connected to the turntable chassis. Or left unconnected.

Old 27th May 2017, 8:22 pm   #5
Station X

A bit of selective quoting there methinks.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 27th May 2017, 10:33 pm   #6
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Apologies if I mislead anyone, but I couldn't make out the numbering on the valve, nor could I see a mains transformer, but, all that aside, I have always understood that 'live chassis' sets should not be earthed -ie. that only a 2-core mains lead should be used.
Old 27th May 2017, 11:43 pm   #7
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I don't think you were mis-"leading" anyone "live" wire. I always assumed that a three core cable was not advisable as it could distract attention from the vital nature of the circuit used-whether the earth lead is actually connected to anything or not. The situation seems to be be further complicated by the rare player that might have an [original] three core lead.

The main concern of course is that repairs are attempted by someone who does not understand live chassis operation and has not yet found out about it!

The consequences there could very well be very permanent .
There was not much fatality back in the "day" it's true but non transformer circuitry was common and the risks understood in every workshop.

Dave
Old 28th May 2017, 2:07 am   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

The photos in post 1 show two transformers, and an ECL82, so as Lawrence says it doesn't matter which way round they go, but it would be logical to make the brown motor wire live and the black neutral. Unless it was damaged there was no real reason to replace the mains cable, but now it's been removed you could chop off the earth wire at both ends of the new cable, as Dansette intended, or keep it and wire it to the chassis.
Old 28th May 2017, 8:16 am   #9
stuboy57
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for all your comments and help....Yes the valve fitted is an ECL82......mind you look at those pins they look like they need a good clean........with regards the cable I was thinking, cut the earth back at both ends and use it just with Live and Neutral like the original, or go buy another piece of 2 core 6amp cable
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170524_132441.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	143466  
Old 28th May 2017, 10:19 am   #10
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Clean those oxidised pins carefully with a Stanley knife blade or fine sandpaper. This player is perfectly safe for 3 core cable. You can earth it (green/yellow wire) at the earthing point on the pick up tag card on the underside of the deck. It should also reduce any hum that may be noticable.
Old 2nd Jun 2017, 5:15 pm   #11
stuboy57
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
The photos in post 1 show two transformers, and an ECL82, so as Lawrence says it doesn't matter which way round they go, but it would be logical to make the brown motor wire live and the black neutral. Unless it was damaged there was no real reason to replace the mains cable, but now it's been removed you could chop off the earth wire at both ends of the new cable, as Dansette intended, or keep it and wire it to the chassis.
The Dansette has been re-wired today as per your suggestion and works fine (been using the lamp limiter for safety though), at first did not think the ECL82 was working as it is quite a faint glow... not sure what they have done in the past with the big bit of Bluetac behind the cartridge, perhaps is was to weight the record arm, also not sure if the cartridge is original as there is no markings on it, but it works fine and the set has good volume.....I need to replace the motor grommets as they have perished, also the record stacker spindle would not release the records, so removed it all, re-cleaned and re-fitted, think it was the small little spring was not attached to the bottom of the spindle...but I have sorted that out now
The knobs are very crackly so need to give them a good cleaner....also need to obtain a turntable mat, any suggestions where I might get one
so yes it's coming along nicely
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170524_125924.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	143807  
Old 2nd Jun 2017, 8:38 pm   #12
Audio1950
Dekatron

You are lucky, the original cartridge has been replaced with a more modern one that is "stereo-compatible", which means you can safely play stereo discs without harm. The blob of blu-tac need not be there, unless the adjustment spring is missing. It is attached to the arm bracket and extends up the arm, where it hooks into one of a selection of holes. The higher up the arm you hook the spring, the lighter the tracking weight will become. An original UA8 mat will be difficult to get hold of, they are nearly all crumbling by now. Either cut a circle of felt, or use three of the circular self adhesive furniture protector pads that are widely available.
Old 2nd Jun 2017, 8:46 pm   #13
leslie5555
Heptode

Hello Stuboy glad your getting there, with regards to the turntable mat they are very hard to find replacements .
I found a good tip from another forum member and he suggested using Fab foam which you can can buy from Hobby Craft for less than a couple of quid.
It comes in a various colours can be cut easily and tacked down with double sided tape, I've used it a few times and makes a very good replacement and works well.
Hope that helps.
Old 6th Jun 2017, 9:28 pm   #14
stuboy57
Retired Dormant Member

Fitted some new BSR motor grommets today that I purchased from ebay.....perfect fit and exactly like the old ones.....yes brilliant tip on the Fab foam.....I cut a piece to shape and used a bit of spray adhesive to hold it to the turntable....had to adjust the record arm so that it lowered properly at the start of 7" records, now working fine......but not on 12" records, so some adjustment is needed...it's looking and sounding good now
Closed Thread