UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Apr 2016, 2:50 pm   #1
deliverance
Heptode

Default Hallicrafters S27 caps.

Hi all. Yesterday I decided to have a close look at my s27 and found ten tcc metalmite visconol electrolictics values 0.02 0.05 and 0.01uf . whilst looking on the net a came across a restored s27 and the tcc caps had been replaced with the usual yellow 630 volt non polarised caps is this right ? Cheers Chris .
Old 3rd Apr 2016, 2:56 pm   #2
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: Hallicrafters S27 caps.

Would make sense to me, Ive given up using anything else now.
Old 3rd Apr 2016, 3:18 pm   #3
deliverance
Heptode

Cheers Sean I just thought they could be issues using non electrolictics I shall order a bag full of yellows thanks again .

Last edited by deliverance; 3rd Apr 2016 at 3:35 pm. Reason: members name wrong
Old 3rd Apr 2016, 3:59 pm   #4
Sean Williams
Dekatron

None of the caps you mention will be electrolytics, in fact I think the only electrolytic in the S27 would be the output valve cathode bias cap and possibly the main smoothing block.
Old 3rd Apr 2016, 5:01 pm   #5
turretslug
Dekatron

Are these the types that have a red rubber bung at one end and a black ditto the other?- these are quite common in British vintage kit, questions occasionally surface over their nature. Not sure why they chose to do this on these non-polarised components, though it's possible that the black bung indicated the foil nearest the insulated metal sleeve for shielding sake. This assumes "conventional" valve circuit practice of +ve HT and -ve to chassis.

Also, both "TCC" and "Visconol" are very British in manufacture, which is odd in a US radio- perhaps a previous owner had re-capped it, or maybe a military-use set would have been workshop overhauled during its time.

I use a lot of 630V "yellows", too, and don't find them objectionable, though some find them jarring. Whoever makes them (there are both Vishay copper-lead and no-name, likely Chinese, steel-lead types) must be doing well out of us lot....
Old 3rd Apr 2016, 6:07 pm   #6
deliverance
Heptode

Yes the caps have red and black rubber ends with a plastic clear cover over them . They must of been changed years ago , I have a few Hallicrafters and only seen wax and bumble bee caps apart from the obvious ones .
Closed Thread