UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jun 2017, 12:03 pm   #1
nikkicurd
Retired Dormant Member

Cool Static on stylus BSR P168. (Actually a BSR P163).

Hi.

I am new to the site having just rescued a Ferguson 50D music centre. Mid 70s' I guess. I have changed the turntable belt and the platter now runs to a perfect speed. However I have a very annoying static type noise when I put the stylus onto the record. I have just realised that is is the slight movement to the needle when running on the disc causes it. No noise from the other sources or speakers. If I lift the arm and gently move the needle with my finger the noise is there. Obviously the needle moves when on the record but this creates the noise. Harder to hear in song but when running on blank grooves you can hear a gurgle type static sound. It is an old Shure stylus but could it just need changing or does it need some kind of static cleaner in cartridge? Any help greatly appreciated. The stylus does not skip or jump and seems to run OK. The stylus is also clean. If I gently twist the Shure by holding the plastic part this creates the sound too.
Old 3rd Jun 2017, 12:51 pm   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: Static on stylus BSR P168.

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

It all sounds quite normal to me! Even the slightest movement of the stylus will result in crackling in the speakers. If, however, you are getting what you describe as static noise when the arm is just sitting on it's rest, then I'd say you have a faulty cartridge, or maybe the connections to it. Try gently removing the wires from the back of the cartridge (they are push -on connectors, so slide them off very carefully), and cleaning the cartridge pins. They do tend to become corroded after a time.
Old 3rd Jun 2017, 1:01 pm   #3
nikkicurd
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. No there is no crackle unless I touch the stylus plastic surround or needle itself. It's a shure 75 stylus. There seems to be static there. It's not normal as sound is distorted too now I have noticed when volume is turned up. First thought was speakers blown but on tape and radio they sound lovely. I could not trace it but noticed when I touched stylus plastic part. The part you hold when you push in or take out the stylus it makes the same static noise. If you slightly move it that's when the static occurs. Silent when you take fingers off! My cartridge base four wires but appear crimped on.
Old 3rd Jun 2017, 1:19 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

But the cartridge, the stlus and sometimes the headshell, will (and should) create a crackly noise when you touch it, that shows it's working. Is this your first experience of using a record player?
Old 3rd Jun 2017, 1:39 pm   #5
nikkicurd
Retired Dormant Member

No, but the same sound, the crackle is being played through the speakers, sorry what I meant was that sound you hear when you touch the stylus is being transferred through the speakers. Sounds terrible at anything other than very low volume. Could it be needle, cartridge or both? I have managed now to remove cartridge and clean terminals but they looked spotless. Thanks for any help!
Old 3rd Jun 2017, 1:51 pm   #6
AC/HL
Dekatron

Does it sound normal at low volume (through the speakers, that is), static free and undistorted?
Old 3rd Jun 2017, 1:57 pm   #7
nikkicurd
Retired Dormant Member

No Bill it's there all the time, obviously sounds a lot worse the higher the volume. The needle seems to be sitting ok, I've checked arm adjustment all is spot on. I do have a feeling it may be the original stylus from new. I thought if they were worn I'd notice skipping or skating though. Although it may be old the unit is immaculate and does not look hardly used. It had not been turned on for ten years I know.
Old 3rd Jun 2017, 4:10 pm   #8
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkicurd View Post
No, but the same sound, the crackle is being played through the speakers, sorry what I meant was that sound you hear when you touch the stylus is being transferred through the speakers.
That's exactly what it should do! Let's be clear here. When everything is at rest, with no record being played, there is no noise at all, yes? It is only when you touch the stylus that the noise is heard through the speakers. Is that right? And when a record is being played, there is no problem?

What is happening is that the stylus is being stroked by your finger in the same way as it would stroked by a record groove. If there was no noise from the speaker when you touched the stylus, then you would have a problem!
Old 3rd Jun 2017, 4:57 pm   #9
nikkicurd
Retired Dormant Member

No the sound is there when playing any record even a brand new one. It's like there is a dirty stylus, like when there is fluff on it. However it is clean. What I mean is the pop and crackle if you touch the stylus sounds the same when a record is played.
Old 3rd Jun 2017, 6:25 pm   #10
unitaudio
Heptode

I can't find any info on a P168 model. Does it have a cartridge slide?

Regards,
Paul
Old 3rd Jun 2017, 7:32 pm   #11
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkicurd View Post
No the sound is there when playing any record even a brand new one. It's like there is a dirty stylus, like when there is fluff on it. However it is clean. What I mean is the pop and crackle if you touch the stylus sounds the same when a record is played.
Ah, right, we're getting somewhere. Does this deck have a slide-in cartridge carrier? If it does then clean the contacts on both the carrier and the ones in the arm. The stylus may be clean, but it could be chipped. Have you got a magnifying glass? The tip should be a smooth, slightly rounded end, no flats anywhere. It may be the cartridge that's at fault, so it may be worth your while to invest in the cheapest magnetic cartridge you can get (some on the auction sites are only about £12.00), just for testing purposes. If that does cure the problem, then you could keep it, (those cartridges are surprisingly good), or upgrade to another Shure.
Old 3rd Jun 2017, 8:47 pm   #12
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Would the deck be a P163 by any chance? That does have a slide-out cartridge carrier, so Audio 1950's comments re cleaning the contacts are very valid.
Old 3rd Jun 2017, 10:35 pm   #13
Tom_I
Heptode

From pictures I've found online of the Ferguson Studio 50D music centre, the turntable does indeed look to be a BSR P163.
Old 4th Jun 2017, 7:11 am   #14
nikkicurd
Retired Dormant Member

Hi, thanks all yes that's correct it is a slide out carrier. I shall get a new cartridge and stylus. Fingers crossed! Once again thank you all for your time.
Old 4th Jun 2017, 11:26 am   #15
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

No, clean the sliding carrier's (and the arm's) contacts first, with a cotton wool bud dipped in Servisol Super 10 contact cleaner. Or Brasso, or even WD40.

The cartridge/stylus is unlikely to be responsible for the symptoms you describe.

Could you post a sound clip of the fault?

N.
Old 5th Jun 2017, 7:42 am   #16
nikkicurd
Retired Dormant Member

I have cleaned but still there. If I film on my iPhone how do I get on here, I cannot find a video upload option? I only have iPhone, iPad, no PC. Thank you.

And yes sorry everyone it is a BSR P163, not 168.
Old 5th Jun 2017, 8:37 am   #17
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I think you'd need to upload to YouTube (or similar) and post a link for us.
Old 8th Jun 2017, 7:00 am   #18
nikkicurd
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Static on stylus BSR P168. (Actually a BSR P163).

Hi, an update on my strange static/interference noise. I have renewed stylus and cartridge. Had fingers crossed but alas no. Sound still there☹️. However I moved the unit to a different location. On doing so when I turned it on there was no power. Just by chance I found out that if I grab the base of the unit and lift slightly it powers up. It seems to me that this interference is probably now a loose connection. Short or bad earth somewhere as this same noise I was experiencing is now there when unit is just on with nothing playing. I assume the arm was picking it up slightly but now I've moved it its won't even stay on unless you slightly lift at one side? I had to delve inside when I first got it to unnamed the mechanism for play on tt but was very careful. I have gone in again but can see nothing loose or amiss? Thanks for any guidance. Is it worth fixing?
Old 8th Jun 2017, 9:29 am   #19
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

It could be arcing (sparking) because of a faulty mains connection.

Could you post some pictures please.
Old 8th Jun 2017, 9:42 am   #20
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

We did advise you not to go buy another cartridge until you had checked further. Why not use a continuity tester on all the earth connections with the power dissconnected. The deck is quite a good one and definately worth fixing.