UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Mar 2016, 11:01 pm   #1
Triple M
Triode

Default 1930's mobile communications equipment

In the 1930's ('32 - '35) some vehicle manufacturers installed mobile comm's equipment especially for the cars that were competing in such events as the MCC Exeter, Lands end, and Edinburgh trials, although other road race events may have used them as well!
I'm trying to research what equipment may have been employed and if possible any period photos of such installations, and if at all possible any equipment that may have survived?

Any information greatly received...

GB
Old 2nd Mar 2016, 11:29 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: 1930's mobile communications equipment

Well, it certainly wouldn't have been compact. This site features one, taking up quite a bit of space in a Bus around that time: http://www.wftw.nl/mobileradio.html. It's probably a bit early to feature telemetry as well as voice.
Old 16th Mar 2016, 12:08 am   #3
Triple M
Triode

Thanks,

an interesting site!.
They had no telemetry, only mobile - base/ base - mobile and AM modulation,
considering the cars were quite small to start with there is an assumption that the comm's gear was fitted in the back (parcel/load space behind the front seats, but no pic's have surfaced as yet.

I'm interested to know who the maker was as (again) rumour has it they were possibly US in origin.

Glenn
Old 16th Mar 2016, 8:24 am   #4
Chris G0EYO
Pentode

Eddystone made some of the first vhf mobile equipment for the police just prior to the second world war. It was known as the 400 series and used to fill the boot of the police car. See EUG website for more information
Regards
Chris G0EYO
Old 16th Mar 2016, 11:09 am   #5
M0SOE_Bruce
Pentode

Here's a copy of Radio Craft from June, 1934. Scroll down to page 713 as there is a photo of workers installing miniature receivers in the hats of Bobbies.

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...ft-1934-06.pdf

Portable equipment was fairly small looking at the projects in QST from the 1930s. American motorcycle police were two-way equipped in the mid 1930s.
Old 16th Mar 2016, 1:36 pm   #6
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I used to service the radiotelephones in our local FX4 taxis many years ago, they were all valve with a rotary converter for the HT supply, I think the were made by Hudson, but I doubt they were anything like as old as those.

Peter
Old 16th Mar 2016, 2:12 pm   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

There were indeed various attempts at "radio-izing" the Police in the 1920s; usually these were just a mobile/portable receiver so "suspects on premises at 83 Royal Gardens" messages could be broadcast - if the policeman needed to make contact with the police station he still had to find a phone! In the US the Police would break into ordinary radio broadcasts with their messages, which sort-of suggests the police radios were nothing out of the ordinary.

The first experiments used the top-end of the Medium Wave band [indeed, some 1930s US radios had this area marked as 'Police']

http://www.bpears.org.uk/Misc/Police_on_MF/
Old 16th Mar 2016, 10:41 pm   #8
Triple M
Triode

Thanks all,

some interesting leads there, especially the Eddystone one.

Glenn
G0HPS
Old 17th Mar 2016, 9:37 am   #9
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Thanks for the item on police call sign history.
I knew the regional letters but not why it was so.
Old 17th Mar 2016, 8:14 pm   #10
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Somewhere in my attic I've got a book called "Memoirs of a motorsporting clergyman" by the Revd Rupert Jones: in the immediate post-WWII period he was a semi-successful rally-driver in Healeys, Austin A30s and the like.
From memory in this he describes the use of two-way radio between the cars and the 'pits' during one of the speed/distance records (10,000 miles at an average of 100MPH etc). I'll see if I can dig out the book and give more detail.

I think the radio gear used was Pye.

I remember going to an Aberystwyth & District Motorsport Club talk given by Revd. Rupert back when I was at college in Aber. He was a real character, even though he was by then rathergetting on in years.
Old 19th Mar 2016, 2:24 pm   #11
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

Very interesting callsign article. I grew up monitoring XV on I think 152.7125 or thereabouts, and I was probably the last person to use M2RX as an on air callsign - testing between Kippax and the local prisons. I never knew Kippax as a site dated back so far

My Blog - http://g7mrv.blogspot.com
Old 20th Mar 2016, 6:22 pm   #12
ex 2 Base
Heptode

Hello Martin G7MRV, I've sent you a PM.Ted
Closed Thread